The Hobbit Tag

To my delight, I have been tagged for The Hobbit Tag by Kate @ Story and Dark Chocolate. Thanks so much, Kate! I am muchly looking forward to this. Especially since I'm rereading The Lord of the Rings right now.

the Hobbit tag.jpg

Which hobbit do you relate to most: practical Merry, lighthearted Pippin, loyal Sam, courageous Frodo, or impulsive Bilbo?

Well, Sam is definitely my favorite. I can relate to his love of poetry, and interest in beautiful things like Elves and magnificent things like adventures, and his loyalty and affection and tendency to burst into tears.

But then I also have an extremely large streak of Pippin in me. *grins* Pippin's the character I got when I took a Lord of the Rings character quiz. I'm certainly silly and lighthearted and a little clueless like he is. And I feel for him, oh do I feel for him, at that point in the Prancing Pony and the following chapters where he's trying to prove to Aragorn that he's not a softy and kind of failing. Dear Pippin. So if I'm honest I might relate to Pippin the most. And I'm happy with that.

This is an absolutely lovely rendering. One of my most favorite moments of the book.
Image not mine.

But then. Bilbo. Who doesn't relate to Bilbo? He's small and insignificant and simple and bumbling and just trying to do his best. He's Bilbo, who longs for adventures but is scared of them, and who longs for his hobbit hole but won't turn back. Bilbo's just--he's an Everyman character, isn't he??

And Frodo. Evidently both he and I have an INFP personality type. He likes poems and things, too. And he's a thinker, more than is usual for hobbits. Oh, I do like Frodo.

Can it be possible that the only one I don't relate to is Merry? Oh, but I like him, too! (Y'know. He is much more responsible and mature and fit to lead than the movie gives him credit for. He's so...I don't know, so similar to a boy hero in the book. Nothing like me, but I'm fond of him.)

Now that I managed to make that question a lot longer than it needed to be without actually answering it...

Are you afraid of spiders?

Well, I definitely don't have arachnophobia. I can deal with spiders. But at the same time, I don't like them, and I am likely to squeal and jump if one gets too close to me.

Of course, if the spiders you have in mind are as big and stinky and hobbit-hungry as Shelob, then yes, I am afraid of spiders.

The Lord of the Rings - John Howe Art - Sam V Shelob
Image not mine.

Are you more likely to be underprepared and not have a handkerchief handy when your allergies flare up or be overprepared and walk all the way to Mordor with and entire set of pots and pans clanging around on your back?

A little of both, I do believe. I'm quite sure that if anyone's going to run off into a green May morning without a handkerchief it's me. But I'm also quite sure that if anyone's going to pack more books and notebooks than is good for them it's going to be me, too.

What is your Elvish name?

Marilla, apparently. Which does not sound Elvish at all to me, but that's only because I'm so used to Anne of Green Gables. (Ha! I wonder what Marilla Cuthbert would say if you told her she had an Elvish name. Most likely "Nonsense!")

Are you part of a best friend duo like Frodo and Sam and Merry and Pippin or are you a loner like Bilbo?

Oh, I'm definitely not a loner. I'm part of a duo...which is in turn part of a small Company...

What size shoe do you wear?

Nine. Or eight and a half.

If you had a choice would you live in Rohan, Gondor, or the Shire? Or… Mordor?

Despite the fact that Rohan is heavily populated with HORSES, I must needs go with the Shire.

...I made the right call, right? The Shire is just so homey and comfortable and quiet and there are ponies to compensate for the lack of horses.

'Middle Earth: The hill, Hobbiton-Across the-Water' (1930's) by English author and illustrator JRR Tolkien (1892-1973). Tolkien was also a gifted illustrator as well as author, creating abstract and subtly beautiful works of art.
Image not mine.

It's a good thing Rivendell isn't on this list otherwise I'd be agonizing over this decision for years.

What is the farthest off anyone has ever guessed your age to be?

I think once when I was about thirteen or younger someone asked me if I was going to be getting my driver's license soon.

But then, ah, like Belle Anne @ Worlds of Ink and Paper, I also have been mistaken for the mother of my little siblings. A good few years ago--I would have been in my early teens--I am all but 100% sure that someone at the zoo thought my brother who is only six years younger than me was my son. Ouch.

Does your personality match your stature or belie it?

Um. If we're talking about courage and spunk and all that, I don't think my personality is quite as tall as my stature. On the other hand, maybe it is. I don't know. It's hard to judge your own personality, you know that?

Bag End Painting - Print from Original Watercolor Painting, "In a Hole in the Ground", Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Shire, Hobbiton, by TheColorfulCatStudio on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/236971652/bag-end-painting-print-from-original
Image not mine.

What is your favorite riddle?

I rather like that one from Mother Goose--

     Little Miss Etticoat,
     In a white petticoat,
     With a red nose.
     The longer she stands,
     The shorter she grows.

There's another one about a needle that I think I like better, but I don't remember the exact words to that one.     

Do you wear any rings?

Why, yes, I do, as a matter of fact. There's a ruby on one my left hand and a sapphire one on my right. They don't make me turn invisible, though. They aren't even rings of power.

I keep my ring of power on a chain around my neck.

Would you be more likely to embarrass yourself by making a speech and forgetting what you were going to say or dancing on the table and falling?

Making a speech and forgetting what I was going to say. As a general rule, I don't dance on tables.

Do you ever feel like butter?

Now and then.

If you were a hobbit, what would your name be?

Hmm. How about Marigold Bracegirdle?

Do you like fireworks?

Oh, yes, indeed! Especially ones that sound like hissing spears and smell like flowering trees.

How do you feel about trilogies?

I love them, of course. Particularly ones by J. R. R. Tolkien. I'm not sure if I've read any others, to be strictly truthful...

Tolkien! Ahh, this is just beautiful! Look at all those books!
Image not mine.

What is your favorite poem?

Most definitely "Lepanto," by G. K. Chesterton. It's not only a beautiful, thrilling story in itself, but the meter and rhyming and alliteration are glorious, and of course Chesterton's descriptions are vivid and surprising and oh so perfect. Suffice it to say that this poem is masterfully done.        

Do you want to see mountains, Gandalf?

 I suppose so. The only real mountains I've ever seen are the Appalachians, which always disappointed me because they're so flat and low and covered in trees. Give me the sharp pointy stony ones with snow on the top!

Although, given the choice between walking through the Appalachians in the autumn or up Mt. Caradhras in a blizzard, I'll take the Appalachians.

Ama Dablam mountain, in Nepal Himalayas
Image not mine.

Can you swim?

Yes. That is, I can float, dog-paddle, and do something that may be termed the breast stroke. So I guess that makes me a Bucklander. Might want to change my hobbit last name to Brandybuck.

You’re Frodo. You need eight fictional companions to journey with you to Mordor. Who do you pick? They cannot be from Lord of the Rings!

I will not overthink this. I will not overthink this.

Well, assuming that "I am Frodo" means "I am in Frodo's position" and not "I have literally become Frodo Baggins," then obviously the first thing I need is a couple of girl friends to hang out with and chatter with and drink tea with whilst journeying through Middle Earth. So I name Jo March and Anne Shirley. I've known them practically all my life, and they're kindred spirits, so as long as they don't flare up angry at each other they should be agreeable companions.

Then we need a couple of experienced, levelheaded chaps to lead the expedition. Captain Smollet should be a good choice; he's all business without being boring, and he'll keep us disciplined and organized and on-track. He can have help from the Scarlet Pimpernel, who is ever so clever and daring he can only be an asset to the company.

As warrior extraordinaire and true knight, I name Charlemagne's own nephew Count Roland. He'll be the last to fall if we're attacked by orcs, and his horn will be quite handy in summoning aid, if we can get him to blow it.

 Let's also take George Dymory Ingleford from Enemy Brothers, simply because--well, because he's good in the best and fullest sense of the word and I know we can trust him. And Reepicheep, because we need a representative from Narnia and he's cute chivalrous, courteous, and courageous. Speaking of chivalry, Sir Gareth of the Round Table should be quite the agreeable companion; and that's eight.

notable character post on Anne Shirley: Jo Seated on the Old Sofa by                                                       ....Norman Rockwell: Captain Smollet Defies the Mutineers (Wyeth). Get unique, hands-on activity ideas for TREASURE ISLAND by Robert Louis Stevenson at http://www.litwitsworkshops.com/free-resources/treasure-island/. LitWits Kits make great books real and fun for kids!: The Scarlet Pimpernel - Bill DodgeI chose this later illustration of Roland because of the emphasis on his warhorse, Veillantif (vigilant). Horses in the song of Roland serve to indicate an aspect of their rider's personality to the reader (for example, Roland, as the commander of the rear-guard, is vigilant to a fault). We see similar practices in modern fantasy literature today. -Elijah Andes: BEST BOOK EVER!!! Enemy Brothers by Constance Savery. Go read it. Now. Then find every other Constance Savery book you can and read that too. :) She's an amazing storyteller.... and this is an amazing story."Brave as a Mouse" [Reepicheep] by burgundythorns on deviantART. *Taking deep breathe* *Singing*: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE!!!"The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table" (1917) Illustrated by Arthur Rackham Of Sir Gareth 6 - How Beaumains defeated the Red Knight, and always the damosel spake many foul words unto him 
(Images not mine.)

 There. I didn't overthink that at all.

What is your Recurring Short Person Dilemma? Not being able to reach high cupboards, getting a stiff neck from talking to tall people, your feet not touching the ground when you sit in a particularly high chair and the circulation being cut off from your legs so that your feet swell to twice their normal size? I’m not bitter or anything, why would you say that?

I'm actually more on the tall side, so...

I suppose I spent a night in Fangorn Forest with the Ents.

If you could marry a kind of food, what would it be?

Marry a food? Come now, Kate, why would I marry a food? Unless I'm like the black widow spider that eats her husband. Can't I marry Faramir instead?

And now I have been given the task of tagging someone else!
Me: I wish this task had not been given to me, Gandalf. I feel too small for it. I wish it need not have happened in my time.
Gandalf: But, Lucy, there were no rules posted with this tag. You don't have to nominate more bloggers than you can think of.
Me: Oooh goody! I'd forgotten that.

I hereby tag, then:

Blue @ To Be a Shennachie (I'm sorry if you're drowning in tags, Blue!)

And I think everyone else I know has been tagged already, but if you haven't been and you want to be, then you are hereby tagged!


And there is the delicious hobbit tag! Let us drink tea and eat mushrooms to celebrate the wonderfulness of all things hobbit-like! Here's a cup of tea--sugar, cream, or both? And how do you like your mushrooms? I like them sautéed myself.

Comments

  1. Nice tag! And, wow, that's Dym's full name?! Awesome name!!! And, oh my word, I will totally widow myself and eat my brownie husband if I can have Faramir instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belle! Isn't it, though? Constance Savery has the best character names! Dym has a brother named Reginald whom they call Ginger, and in The Reb and the Redcoats the Reb's initials actually spell "Reb," and--there are so many things I like about Constance Savery's writing. :)

      Faramir is the best! *huggles him*

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Don't worry, I'm looking forward to doing this one (although I admit it may be some time before I'm able to post it). That third to last question looks like it will be especially fun!

    That little section with Gandalf is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goody! I'm sure your post will be perfectly delightful. :)

      Haha, thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely Pippin as well, but I LOVED what you said about Bilbo!!! Yes! He IS Everyman!!!

    I also agree SO MUCH about Merry - the movie makes him out to be a second Pippin but he was so wise and practical in the book! :)

    How fascinating! Marilla does not strike me as an Elvish name either???? Hmmm.

    OKAY WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THAT RIDDLE??? I can't solve it!!! :D

    Bahahahah!!! I love your answer to the one about wearing rings!!! You are so lovely. :)

    And what you said about dancing on tables!!! LIKE I AM SO SURPRISED??? YOU ALWAYS STRUCK ME AS A VERY WILD-PARTYING-DANCING-ON-TABLES KIND OF GIRL??? I feel so lied to!!! :))))))

    Agh! How disappointing of the Appalachians to be so flat and treeish! Ugh! They must be ashamed of themselves...

    Awww!! I loved your answers about who YOUR Fellowship would be!! (and yes, I meant "you are in Frodo's position" not "you have literally become Frodo Baggins" bahahahahha!!!) I would quite like to journey to Mordor with Jo and Anne as well!!! :)

    Thank you so much for doing the tag, dear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a fellow Pippin! *high five* Haha, I wrote an essay about Bilbo a couple months ago and have adored him ever since. :)

      Yes, yes--I love the movie version of Merry, too, but it doesn't really do him justice! Tsk tsk to movie makers tampering with characters.

      It really doesn't. Maybe the Elvish name sight knows nothing? ;)

      Ha! I was hoping someone would be unable to guess it! The answer is "a candle."

      Speaking of my rings...since writing that post both of them fell into the garbage disposal and were totally mutilated. Oops. (Thankfully the Ring of Power is indestructible, mwahaha.)

      Ha! I can just see myself dancing on a table. ;)

      Yes! They must be ashamed of themselves! I know I'm ashamed of them. I suppose they can't help being old and flat. *sigh*

      That design-your-own company question was SO MUCH FUN! Thank *you* for making such a splendiferous tag! (And sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your comment...play practice and school and summer, oh my!)

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a fascinating essay!! I wish my topics were so interesting... :(

      Agreed. :)

      It's certainly possible!!!

      Candle??? Really??? Ohhhhhhh!!! I see it now!!! :)


      Oh no!!!! That's so sad. :( Whew!!! At least the Precious came out unscathed!!!

      Bahahahah!!!

      It was tons of fun to think up questions!!! And don't worry, I take forever getting around to commenting/replying too!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Heroes

Daily Sacrifices

Beautiful Books: 2017 Writing Goals