Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Evil Writer's Award

I have been tagged for the Evil Writer's Award by Hope @ The Reader Addict. And...I'm not sure whether to be honored or insulted, actually...

screen-shot-2017-04-20-at-10-00-47-pm

Just kidding. Of course I'm delighted and flattered that in spite of the fact that I write middle grade fairy tales and have a blog entitled "Tangle Webs and Fairy Rings," Hope deems me worthy of receiving this award. I thank thee, Hope.

But I can't give Hope as much credit as Kate @ Story and Dark Chocolate, because she is the creator of this award and the rules say I have to give her all credit. See?

The Rules:
• Give all credit to the Evil Overlord and genius, Kate, for creating this award.
• Give a smaller amount of credit to the Evil Writer who tagged you (which means fall on your hands and knees and thank me for nominating you).• Tag at least two people.

And now on to the questions! It's high time to find out whether I deserve this award or not.

How many characters do you typically kill per book? And how many people have you killed in real life, dear? Do you… feel any remorse about this? I’m concerned about you.

Um, let's see. No one dies in Lillian. No major character dies in The Time Traveling League...exactly. *mysterious smile* So for middle grade, it would appear that I'm actually a very non-evil writer. Let us disregard middle grade and move on to YA.

Because when it comes to YA, I'm a tad more heartless. Two characters died in my space opera, not counting the character who died before the story started. And in a certain old fantasy of mine, two characters also died.

So two per book is a generous estimate, I suppose.

And what do you mean "in real life"? Aren't my characters real?

As to whether I feel remorse...well, there is one character in the space opera of whom I was very fond. But as I mean to include him heavily in the prequel, it doesn't make me too sad that he won't be in the sequel.

Do you prefer to use weapons of mass destruction like explosions and famine and world war or more personal torture like killing family and friends and pets?

What's the fun of mass destruction? Personal torture is much more--well, personal. You get to know your character better when you go after something that he and only he really cares about.

And mass destruction is scary.

August 06, 1945. Mushroom cloud from the atomic explosion over Hiroshima. S):
Image not mine.

Are you more like Loki, who perpetrates great evil with a creepy grin, or… give me a minute… Darth Vader, who secretly weeps inside his… fake head, whilst destroying the world?

I suppose by now you should already be able to guess the answer. I'm much more likely to weep than grin creepily while making life unpleasant for my characters.

Actually. I think I grin evilly while planning to do evil things and then weep while actually doing them. Unless it's something really bad, in which case I whimper from the outset.

What is the most dastardly crime you have ever committed as a writer?

Everything I did to Dar in the space opera. Particularly having him responsible for his mother's death at the age of eleven.

What kind of chocolate do you most like to devour as you burn things? White, milk, semisweet, or dark? Bonus points if you are so evil you find unsweetened cacao palatable!

I don't necessarily devour chocolate as I burn things. But if I did, I would choose milk chocolate every time.

What is your villainous title? You may not have “Evil Overlord” because that one’s mine.

*eyes widen innocently* Villainous title? Do I need one? How'd about "The Soft-Hearted Lady Who Falls in Love With and Rescues Her Victims"?

Which of your characters would actually be a match for you if you were to duke it out one on one?

Probably Ada. That's one of the characters from the original space opera who didn't make it into the current version because she was too much of a soft noodle.

Okay, okay, let's say Timandra. She's pretty much the vivacious side of me, so if we got on each other's nerves it could get pretty heated.

Which character, in all the many books you have undoubtedly written, is most likely to be your Archnemesis?

Hmm. I very much despise...um...uh...have I ever written a character I truly hated?

Um. I had a character named Bonner once who was a sort of irresponsible, lazy, disrespectful jerk. I think he would very much get on my nerves. (Although, let's be honest, I was intrigued to find out what possible purpose he could have in the story.)

Do you wear a cape? Face paint? A mask? Special underpants? Or do you hide in plain sight… like Moriarty? Give me details!

I can often be seen in a polka dot blue dress with heeled black boots. Only the characters who have known me for a good long while would ever guess how heartless I can be.

How do you react when you have to kill off a character that is dear to you? Do you laugh evilly out loud? Do you chuckle under your breath and quickly glance around for your next victim? Do you go and weep in a corner for a month because you just lost a best friend? Or do you just shrug indifferently?

I might laugh a little evilly to myself and my siblings. And I pretend to enjoy being mean.

And I probably do enjoy it...until I get past the stage of playing around with the idea and actually come face to face with the reality that once I kill this character he will be gone.

Then usually I tell my family, "I don't want to kill him!" and my mom will say "Then don't kill him" and I'll say "But I have to kill him to prove I can do it! I'm not a wimp! Writers have to kill off characters now and then!"

So then I write the death...only to change my mind about the character dying in the next revision of the story.

If you had to choose a fictional villain (from book, movies, etc.) to sum up your villainous style as an evil writer, who would it be? Why?

Colonel Wilhelm Klink of "Hogan's Heroes."

Hogan's Heroes:
Image not mine.

He manages to make himself believe he's a monster who runs the toughest POW camp in Germany when really it's the prisoners who are running things.

Sometimes I convince myself I'm unusually cruel to my characters. But really I'm a total softy.

Let's see.... I tag.....

(because, even though Kate invented the tag, I'm quite curious to see what her answers would be...)

And, of course, anyone who wants to snag this tag for themselves!

And there we are! What do you think? Am I an evil writer? What's the cruelest thing you've ever done to your characters? How many characters do you typically kill per book? Is being tagged for this flattering or insulting? (If you think it's insulting and I tagged you, sorry!)



9 comments:

  1. Haha, I got tagged for this one too. Can't wait to do it! *rubs hands together evilly* Boy, do I have answers for it. And it's quite a fitting award too, considering that just yesterday I planned out a scene in which a mostly innocent character gets brutally whipped... And currently I have two characters (in different books) on sick-beds (which may possibly also be death-beds)... And I also have let more than one get kidnapped and/or lost and/or abandoned very recently... ;) Haha, I'm mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your tag.....Oh no. My poor dear characters, Belle! You're so cruel to them! How can you bear to treat them so?? And they're such sweet things....

      *clears throat* I mean...yes, yes, it's so fun to torture our poor characters...

      *in a fierce whisper* Those sick-beds had better not be death-beds!!

      Delete
  2. ...Do I really seem that evil?

    I'm kidding! Thanks for the tag, I'm flattered!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you don't *seem* evil.... ;) But I'm looking forward to hearing more about your writing!!

      Delete
  3. EEEEP THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR NOMINATING ME!!! (I was so hoping someone would tag me for it!! The weird thing about CREATING a tag is that you don't get to do it right away... Anyway, I'm looking forward to this! *rubs hands together in glee*)

    And now onto my running commentary on the post!!!

    Of course your characters are real, my dear! *pats you softly on the head*

    Oh my!!! You are so evil!! (Just kidding...) Nearly everyone said personal torture for the second question - I was quite shocked at how cold-hearted you all are!! :D

    I love your answer to number three!!!!

    OH MY!!! How evil!!! You made a character kill his own mother as a child??? HEINOUS!!

    Your title is too long, Madam!!! :)

    Ooooh! I like your villainous outfit!!!

    Aw! That conversation with your mom! I love how involved your family is in your writing; that's so sweet!

    Hm. I've never seen Hogan's Heroes, but it sounds like an apt description, nevertheless. ;)

    Thanks again for tagging me (AND FOR DOING MY HUMBLE TAG, YOU LOVELY CRUMPET!!)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it would be tantalizing and frustrating to create a tag and then not be able to participate yourself right away! And I just know your answers will be...interesting, to say the least...

      Well. I didn't necessarily have my character KILL his own mother. But he was involved somehow.

      Oh dear! Too long! Well, I can shorten it to the Soft-Hearted Lady, perhaps. Which isn't evil at all.....

      Ha, my poor family.

      *guilty laugh* I have a mild obsession with Hogan's Heroes...

      AND THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR THE TAG! It was scrumptious (if that is an accurate description).

      Delete
    2. OH YES, THEY SHALL BE QUITE SOMETHING!!!

      Hmmmm... still heartbreaking, though...

      I like that! Soft-hearted Lady! Perfect!

      Aw, you're very welcome!!!

      Delete
  4. Loved this so much, Lucy! Especially your name. It's a pleasure to meet you, The Soft-Hearted Lady Who Falls in Love With and Rescues Her Victims. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hope! A very threatening name, isn't it? ;)

      Delete