Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Happy Easter! and the Sunshine Blooger Award

Here I am again! My, it's nice to be blogging once more.

Happy Easter, everybody! Easter Sunday is over, but in the Catholic Church not only Easter Sunday but the seven days following it are all one Easter day. So I'm still very much in Easter mode. :)

My friend Tionna, has a wonderful Family Home Evening lesson idea for this week.  I thought I would share it.  Easter is a special holiday. ...:
Image not mine.
Hopefully sometime during the Easter season I'll think of a nice, Easter-ish topic for a post... But, for now, I thought I might as well celebrate coming out of hiatus with the Sunshine Blogger Award, which I was tagged for by the lovely Hope @ The Reader Addict. Thanks so much, Hope! This is going to be so much fun!

The rules for this tag are as follows:

1. Thank whoever followed you and include a link back to her blog.
2. Answer the 11 questions the nominee has given you.
3. Tag 11 more people and give them 11 questions to answer.
4. List the rules and display the award.

sunshine-blogger-award

Hope's Questions:

What is the craziest dessert you have ever had or wanted? I mean craziest! The whole works!

Wulp, I don't get too crazy... But I have had quite a few interesting desserts lately, thanks to my sisters whipping up an overwhelming conglomeration of sweets for Easter. I think my favorite was the chocolate mocha truffles.

Master Class: How to make classic chocolate truffles. For the softest, silkiest centers, stir the chocolate and cream into an emulsion (Fine Cooking).:
Image not mine.
 (Our truffles were a lot gooier than that. But they tasted good.)

Who is your idol (or who do you admire) and why?

Um. There are a lot of them. I kinda did a post on a few of them here.

One person I didn't mention in that post but who I have mentioned quite a bit on this blog is G. K. Chesterton. He is just the most amazing writer. I love his quotes, and his descriptions, his poetry (especially The Battle of Lepanto!), and just his entire philosophy of life. Like...if there is one single writer I would recommend to the entire world, it would be G. K. Chesterton. I did a post on him here.

A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him.... ~G.K. Chesterton. #quote:

What toppings do you take on your pizza?

Mushroom and tomato, please.

What is your least favorite movie/book/TV show?

Movie: The Road to El Dorado. They demonized my Cortez! Also on my list of least favorites would be The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Ella Enchanted (loved the book so much, but the movie was deeply disappointing).

Book: Flight of Eagles, by Jack Higgins. To be fair, I only read a condensed version of this in a Reader's Digest collection, but... I can't imagine an extended version being any better. The premise was interesting enough for me to read the whole thing, but that's about the best I can say about it. 

TV show: Hmm. Maybe The Carol Burnett Show. I used to think it was hilarious; now I watch it and think, "That's supposed to be family-friendly?" Even the clean ones tend to be more or less boring. I've been spoiled by Studio C, I suppose. :)

If you could change into any kind of animal, which one would it be and why?

A diving duck! I settled that one a long time ago. A diving duck would be by far the most fun animal to be because it can fly, walk, and swim--both on top of the water and underneath it. (To be sure, the walk is more of a waddle...but you can't have everything.)

Canvasback Ducks, male & female:
Image not mine.

What is one thing you can’t live without that is not a piece of technology?

Soap.

Which famous person or celebrity would you never want to meet?

It'd be easier to list the famous persons or celebrities I would want to meet.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd even want to meet the ones I do like...I'm so shy, and I'd be afraid they'd turn out to be disappointing. Unless it was, like, Mother Teresa or someone. :)

You get to spend the afternoon with your favorite human being from history. Who is this person and what do you guys/gals do for the afternoon?

Well Anna R. already said Jesus. And I already practically plagiarized her answer to the celebrity one. So just for the sake of changing it up, I'll go with--no, no, I don't have a clear favorite among the many minor historical figures I like. Plus there's the whole they-may-not-be-all-they're-cracked-up-to-be-so-ignorance-is-bliss thing. Oh, I'll compromise and say Mary. She wouldn't scare me, and I'd like to talk to her. :)

Morning Prayer: "Dear God, Bless us in our school today. Help us grow in love and kindness, more like Jesus everyday. Amen.":

What were your top three favorite childhood shows to watch?

Clifford the Big Red Dog, Dragon Tales, and--because one more PBS Kids show would be just plain sad and I don't want to copy Anna R. yet again by mentioning Scooby Doo--the Andy Griffith Show.

Narnia or Middle Earth?

To live in or to read about? Because I'd much rather live in Narnia than Middle Earth. It's so very friendly, and delightful, and fairy-tail-ish, all without being any less grand or serious or adventurous. Just think of all the places there are to explore! I'd love to dive into the map of Narnia and see Lantern Waste, and Dancing Lawn, and Cair Paravel. Middle Earth has great places too, of course, but they're so huge it would feel absolutely daunting to be dropped down in one of Tolkien's maps. (Unless I was dropped in the Shire. But I digress.) And the creatures in Narnia! Talking animals (mice! bears! horses!), unicorns, centaurs, fauns, giants, dryads, dwarves, and more talking animals! Take me to Narnia! Please! I'd go right now, this instant, if you asked me to!

Narnia Christmas Card by nokeek.deviantart.com on @DeviantArt:
Image not mine.


How do you take your coffee or tea?

With honey, and quite often with milk or cream.

Eleven New Questions

(And I am going to cheat at this point by not nominating eleven new bloggers. You are more than welcome to the tag if you want it, or to answer the questions in the comments.)

1. Favorite old TV show? (Mine is Hogan's Heroes right now.)
2. A movie you watched again and again and again as a little kid? (I loved Old Yeller.)
3. Pet peeve as a reader? (I don't like improper use of commas.)
4. Pet peeve in real life? (One of mine is when someone steals the rag I'm using to wash dishes.)
5. Fictional death you cried over? (I cried for Beth March, I b'lieve.)
6. A book you wouldn't mind getting zapped into? (After that tenth question I'm longing for Narnia.)
7. A book you definitely would mind getting zapped into? (John Hersey's Hiroshima...which is nonfiction, so even scarier.)
8. What font do you generally use when writing stories? (Times New Roman for me.)
9. Something you dislike simply out of obstinacy? (Divergent. I'm not actually familiar with it.)
10. Favorite thing about Easter? (The Triduum!)
11. Number one place you would like to visit someday? (Rome, Rome, Rome all the way!)

7 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, and nice tag, Lucy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belle! Happy Easter to you, too!

      Delete
  2. I agree about the Carol Burnett Show. Ha! Soap is a good answer for that question. :D

    annadeubell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...it's a shame, cuz Tim Conway can be downright side-splitting. :) Ha, I had to go without soap for a tiny amount of time the other day and it drove me crazy.

      Delete
  3. MMMMMMMM... those truffles sound delicious!!!

    I haven't watched but like two episodes of The Carol Burnett Show... my dad was just showing it to me for the first time about a week ago, actually, and while it was quite amusing, at times, it most certainly was not family-friendly! It's odd, because we think that TV now is so much worse than it used to be and that old TV was so innocent and family-friendly... it really wasn't...:/

    STUDIO C IS AWESOME THOUGH!!!

    AGh! I so relate to being afraid that celebrities I admire would disappoint me if I met them in person... They disappoint me and I haven't met them!! I think I am far too apt to put them up on a pedestal and then it is rather crushing when they don't live up to my impossible standards... :(

    1. Zorro??? Does that count? Umm.... Leave It To Beaver... Three Stooges...
    3. All caps or overuse of exclamation points or question marks, pictures (unless it's a little kids' book, obviously), weird fonts, noise-words like BAM! or THUMP!, reintroducing characters in sequels drives me insane!! Probably a bunch of other stuff that I can't think of right now...
    5. Oh, yes! Beth's death is so sad!!!
    8. Same here!
    9. Twilight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *laughs guiltily* I think I ate too many of them...

      It's a shame the Carol Burnett Show ISN'T always family-friendly, because it would be great if it was. That's true about old TV shows! I guess maybe as a whole they tend to be milder content-wise? But really, they're not all squeaky-clean and innocent like we tend to think. :) YES! STUDIO C!

      *sob* Why must people never live up to our expectations? Of course...with me it tends to be historical figures...but same problem. :)

      ZORRO! My goodness, I've only seen about two episodes but I love it so much! And I despise Twilight. :)

      Delete
    2. Ha! One can never eat too many truffles! (Actually... I don't believe I've ever HAD a truffle?? But they do sound [and LOOK!!!] absolutely delicious! My grandmother makes these buttercream-filled chocolates every Christmas and they look EXACTLY like that picture... What IS a truffle, exactly??? Is it like chocolate??)

      True, true. It was very funny, but a little... handsy, at times. :/ Right, like the adult content is a bit more subtle?? Whereas now everything is out in the open... literally...

      I know! Tis so sad...

      Ha! Every episode was identical so you only need to see a few to know what the entire thing is like. :D But I loved it as a kid. Zorro was so cooooool!!!

      Delete