Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Sunshine Blogger Award

Time for another delightful tag! This one is from Anna @ Swords and Quills. Thanks ever so much, Anna!

What is your favorite Christmas song?

"See Amid the Winter's Snow," I think. "Of the Father's Love Begotten" is exceedingly beautiful, too. I never heard of either of these until I got to be in a liturgical choir a few years ago. I think they're fairly obscure. You must needs listen to them if you haven't already! They're so, so lovely and reverent, and really made me think about how wonderful it is that God became man for us. (You can't really go wrong with O Holy Night, either. But don't get me started on Christmas songs. There's too many good ones...all the festive memories...it's too hard to pick one!)

What is one book that you have read more than twice?

Treasure Island. It's kinda funny, the first time I read it I didn't like it. (For shame, right?) But when I read it last year, I positively loved it, and read it out loud to my siblings this past October when we went to the Outer Banks. I'll probably end up reading it again sometime this school year, which makes me happy. :)


Read this on vacation to siblings! Oh, it was wonderful. So fun to share. Now we want to write a sequel...:

Who is your favorite character from The Lord of the Rings (book or movies)?

Oh, Sam! Definitely Sam. He's so loyal, so selfless, so simple and good. I've always loved his devotion to Frodo, his appreciation for poetry, his fascination with the elves. He's just...there's something about Sam. He embodies all the down-to-earth simplicity and plain good values of the hobbits, and he has a great love for simple things, like rope and gardening. Yet at the same time he's always yearning for poetry and chivalry and greatness. And he's pretty emotional for a LOTR character -- how many times does he burst into tears in the book?

"There's some good left in this world, Mr Frodo, and it's worth fighting for." - Samwise, Lord of the Rings:

Long story short, Sam Gamgee is my favorite character, not only in The Lord of the Rings, but in all of literature.

(Now, I should mention, I'm very fond of Faramir too. In the book, mind you. They absolutely ruined him in the movie...in my humble and very strong opinion, at least.)

What was your favorite childhood book?

The Narnia books. It took a couple of years for Dad to read those to my brothers and sisters and I, so it was one big long adventure. (Narnia was followed by The Lord of the Rings, which we possibly obsessed over even more...but Narnia was earlier, so it's even more of a childhood thing.)


We've read these to each other and the kids several times.  (Though the movies are a bit disappointing):

If you had to choose between a dragon, a griffin, a phoenix, or a pegasus for a pet, which would you choose? Why?

A pegasus! I've always longed for a horse and I've always wished I could fly, so having a pegasus would solve all my problems in one fell swoop. :)

What is your favorite part about Christmas? Why?

One favorite part about Christmas? Um...all of it? :) Oh, I don't know!! Waking up early in the morning and running down with my siblings to stare greedily at the presents under the tree is so fun. But...but...that sounds utterly materialistic. I also like coming home from Christmas Eve Mass and sitting around the tree with my family. And...and...and...the carols, and the nativity set, and, and, and! It's too hard! I can't pick one favorite part about Christmas!!

What is your favorite book genre?

Oh dear dear me. Well I really like classics. And historical fiction. And fantasy...although I've been noticing that a lot of modern fantasy is too "out there" for my taste. Give me a good cliche fairy tale and I'm happy. :)

What is your weapon of choice? Why?

Well, to tell the truth I can't use any weapon. If I were attacked I'd rely on my piercing scream to summon aid, and try to defend myself with teeth and nails.

If I were to learn to use a weapon just for coolness' sake, it'd probably be a bow and arrow. I've messed around with a bow and makeshift targets in the backyard before, and that was delightful. Every time I got close to hitting my mark I felt like Artemis.

(Which was ridiculous of me. I'm nothing like Artemis, in character or appearance.)


Katniss is talented with a bow. She uses this for hunting to keep her family alive. It is also her weapon of choice in the Hunger Games.:

What is one favorite Christmas memory?

Once a group of friends and I went to a town Christmas celebration thingy, and oh, it was so much fun! We got to ride in a carriage drawn by these huge beautiful draft horses, and we sang Christmas carols in harmony, which resulted in our getting compliments from strangers and the friendship of this really cute group of little girls. Ah! It was so delightful.

How do you react to awkward silence?

Depends. If I'm in the presence of an adult I don't know very well (okay, I'm 18, but there's a big difference in age between me and a real grown-up), I'll be quite likely to just sit there in absolute silence and wonder where to look. If I'm around someone younger than me, I might just start talking stupidly and stubbornly about the first suitable subject that comes to mind. ("So how's school?")

What is one character trait that you value above almost all others?

Goodness.

....That's too broad, isn't it? Well, I suppose a trait doesn't have to be a virtue; I could've said "good looks" if I'd wanted to sound really shallow, couldn't I? So does "goodness" pass?

(Y'know, I'm really liking the way Belle @ Worlds of Ink and Paper answered this one with "chivalry." That about sums everything up.)


Now! I'm supposed to nominate 11 other bloggers, but...I am a recluse when it comes to blogging and all the other bloggers I know have been tagged already, I do believe. Which is simply tragical. (Hopefully I didn't slight anyone by forgetting them. If I did, yell at me in the comments! By the by, is "tragical" a word? Auto-correct says it isn't, but Louisa May Alcott uses it, so who am I to believe?)

But anyway. If I had 11 bloggers to tag, it would now be time to think up 11 questions. But without bloggers....hmmm.

Tell you what! I'll put up eleven questions and anyone who likes may steal this tag, or just answer the questions in the comments if they so desire. Sound good?

Questions:
1. What's the most boring book you've ever read?
2. What's your favorite fruit?
3. How many states/provinces have you been in?
4. What's your dream job?
5. Would you rather travel back in time or forward in time?
6. Would you rather have the power to jump into the television or jump into a book?
7. Name one thing that scares you.
8. Name one thing that you're crazy about that no one else seems to have heard of/be interested in.
9. In which order should the Narnia books be read?
10. Say you're writing a Divine Comedy of your own -- name a couple of fictional characters you would assign to Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love those two songs! And Sam is probably my favorite LOTR character as well. Aww! That's one of the best memories I have too! :D

    annadeubell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're lovely, aren't they? :) Ooh, Sam is possibly your favorite? I didn't know that! Yay! And 'tis quite an awesome memory. :)

      Delete
  2. Cool post, Lucy! :)
    And, although I disagree rather strongly concerning LotR (I usually don't care if people like Sam, but not liking movie Faramir is ridiculous!) I do think that you answered those questions well. I know I already did this tag, but, well.... Those questions are really cool! :)
    Q. What's the most boring book you've ever read? A. Um, probably The First Farm In The Valley. I'd stab my eye out before reading it again.
    Q. What's your favorite fruit? A. Probably an apple. Or maybe a peach. I do love peaches. :)
    Q. How many states/provinces have you been in? A. Uh, a lot... I've been all through the country. I think I've been from Ohio to Montana to California to Georgia and all the places along the way there.
    Q. What's your dream job? A. Well... what I want very badly to do is go into music, particularly touring/acting, but I don't want to be really huge or anything, just somewhat formidable.
    Q. Would you rather travel back in time or forward in time? A. Maybe forward. Most people who go back in time end up killing themselves or making some kind of terrible paradox.
    Q. Would you rather have the power to jump into tv or a book? A. Definitely a book.
    Q. Name one thing that scares you. A. Morlocks! Ever read The Time Machine? Well, if you haven't, don't! those creatures in it, Morlocks are like the scariest things of all time!
    Q. Name one thing you're crazy about that no one else seems to have hear of/be interested in. A. Just one thing?! I could name a hundred-million, seeing as like all my obsessions are pretty obscure. I'll say Il Divo, because it's been too long since I've mentioned them, and I've never mentioned them here. ;)
    Q. In which order should Narnia books be read? A. I believe in chronological. It makes more sense to do so.
    Q. Say you're writing a Divine Comedy - name a couple of fictional characters you would assign to Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven. A. I think I'd assign Grima of LotR to the first (the circle of traitors), D'Artagnan of Three Musketeers to the second (uh, not sure quite where he'd go), and Adaon of The Chronicles Of Prydain to the last. :)
    Sorry, Lucy, couldn't help myself. These questions were so marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you answered them, Belle! And oooohhh, the Morlocks are SO scary!! I was only reading the children's illustrated classics version of The Time Machine, and I couldn't sleep at night they were so terrifying!

      How did I know you were going to say something about Il Divo there? :) And *deep sigh* I suppose it is my Christian duty to forgive you for not adoring Sam and for liking movie Faramir. ;)

      Thanks, Belle!

      Delete
  3. Q What's the most boring book you've ever read?
    A I don’t know … likely it was a school book.
    Q What's your favorite fruit?
    A Peaches.
    Q How many states/provinces have you been in?
    A From Tennessee I’ve travelled to many states on car trips, the farthest being Connecticut.
    Q What's your dream job?
    A Wedding photographer.
    Q Would you rather travel back in time or forward in time?
    A Forward maybe …
    Q Would you rather have the power to jump into the television or jump into a book?
    A It would depend on the choice of TV shows/books. I’ll go with jumping into a book.
    Q Name one thing that scares you.
    A Loss.
    Q Name one thing that you're crazy about that no one else seems to have heard of/be interested in.
    A Um, film theories?
    Q In which order should the Narnia books be read?
    A Start with the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and read the Magician’s Nephew last.
    Q Say you're writing a Divine Comedy of your own -- name a couple of fictional characters you would assign to Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven.
    A Yikes. I don’t think I’ll answer this one. I’m terribly uncomfortable with that kind of power. :P


    Great post, Lucy! Sorry I haven't been commenting lately, but college is CRAZY. And then, so is Christmas break with FAMILY :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so nice to see you again, Rosie! ("See" might be the wrong word, but, you know.) :)

      School books can be boring sometimes, can't they?

      I have yet to read Narnia in any order besides chronological. I just reread The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe recently, so maybe now's my chance!

      Thanks so much for stopping by, Rosie! Good luck with college!

      Delete
  4. I remember liking Treasure Island. And that Christmas memory is so classic! Was it snowing?
    These questions look fun. I think I'll give it a shot.

    1. What's the most boring book you've ever read?- I usually don't finish a book that bores me. Unless it was a math textbook and I had no choice.
    2. What's your favorite fruit?- Apples! and mangoes! and lemons!
    3. How many states/provinces have you been in?- Three states, two provinces.
    4. What's your dream job?- Jack-of-all trades!
    5. Would you rather travel back in time or forward in time?- I feel as if the future is closed off (save for prophesy), so I'll say back in time.
    6. Would you rather have the power to jump into the television or jump into a book?- Book! But I like the soundtracks that go along with film. Maybe I'll bring an ipod or musical instrument, and play music when it is fitting.
    7. Name one thing that scares you.- failure.
    8. Name one thing that you're crazy about that no one else seems to have heard of/be interested in.- That's the story of my life. I don't often find people who can rave about history and goats with me.
    9. In which order should the Narnia books be read?- Read them in the order of printing first, then read them in chronological order.
    10. Say you're writing a Divine Comedy of your own -- name a couple of fictional characters you would assign to Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven.- That kind of power would go straight to my head. I can't be trusted with it any more than I can be trusted with the One Ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was snowing...although, snow would've been so fitting that my memory plays tricks on me and makes me think it was. :)

      Huzzah for history buffs! And I'm going to read the Narnia books in order of printing one of these days.

      "I can't be trusted with it any more than I can be trusted with the One Ring" - ha! I love that sentence. :) Thanks for answering these, Blue!

      Delete