Friday, December 16, 2016

Infinity Dreams Award

Good gracious! Ever so long ago I was tagged for the Infinity Dreams Award by Blue @ To Be a Shennachie. (Which is a beautiful blog, by the way; you should absolutely check it out if you haven't already.) It's high time I finished and posted this post!


Eleven facts about myself:

1. I have a mild obsession with the old western Laramie. Okay....maybe more than a mild obsession...

Robert Fuller & John Smith in Laramie:

2. There are four chickens in my garage right now, being sheltered from the bitter cold. Adorable ones for the most part, although the rooster, Alexander, is a feisty one. I have a love-hate relationship with that dear fellow.

3. I'm very very happy because I just came back from Half Price Books yesterday and got my hands on a copy of The House of the Seven Gables, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, as well as Peter Pan. Also several books I plan to give away as Christmas presents, if I can muster up the courage to part with them. :)

4. One of my new favorite books is Enemy Brothers, by Constance Savery. It's quite a marvelous piece of historical fiction which a wonderful friend lent me this past summer.

This is one of those books that makes me want to stroke it lovingly, hold it close to my heart, and never let it go. It was simply beautiful. Dym is one of the best characters I've ever met in all my rambles through Bookland. Dym, Dym, Dym! Oh, Dym.:

5. I despise math. It hurts my brain. Maybe because I never learned my multiplication facts as well as I should have...?

6. Another thing that hurts my brain is Latin, which I'm taking with two younger siblings....but I enjoy that a good deal more than math.

7. Once upon a time a very little version of me found a dead frog squished flat on the road in front of my house. And I decided it would be a fun prank to put that squished frog in the mail box for the mail lady to find.

8. I was fingerprinted the other day! Not because I'm a criminal or anything, but because my family's a registered foster family. And since I'm eighteen, well, I have to be fingerprinted.

9. I'm always discovering words that I've pronounced wrong all my life. Like "vehemence" and "moccasins" and....I still don't think I know how to pronounce those.

10. I like cookie dough better than baked cookies. (Not that that stops me from eating baked cookies.)

11. Even though I don't particularly like the name Richard, I've got four characters named Dick, Ricky, Bobby Dick, and Richard, respectively.... 

Eleven questions answered:

1. What disgusts you?

Sin, the idea of eating eyeballs, snakes, and moldy chicken food. Also Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler. 

2. What inspires you?

Saint stories, any beautiful poem about good triumphing over evil (I'm thinking The Battle of Lepanto, by G. K. Chesterton), and any really well-told story about good people doing good things.

3. What’s the last thing that brought tears of joy to your eyes?

Oh goodness. I don't know. Maybe Holy Communion? Or a really good book?

4. Ideal mode of transportation? And when I ask this, I ask this without limits- Model T ford? Horse? Airship? Dragon? Flying carpet?

Now this is a fun question! And my answer is - horse! Horse horse horse horse horse give me a horse please now now now....

Bowan:

Actually a flying unicorn might be even better than a horse. But seriously, why did we ever move to cars? 

5. You somehow gain possession of a time machine (was your answer to #4 the deLorean from Back to the Future, or the TARDIS?) Which time period do you go to first?

This is even better than number 4! I've always wanted a time machine. Actually I'm working on building one right now. (Not.... Unless you count the story I wrote/am working on for NaNo.) 

Hmmm. I'm very glad that significant little word "first" was tacked onto the end of the question, because otherwise I would be sitting here writhing for hours in agony trying to decide which time period I want to dive into. Maybe ancient Rome? Or -- yes, yes, ancient Rome. Specifically right around 320 A.D., when the Martyrs of Sebaste were killed. I want to write a story about them one of these days, and it must needs be researched. Plus it might help with Latin class.

After that I'd probably go to 1930s America, since I've got a story idea set there, too. :) And then....oh, it'd just be too much fun! I want a time machine!

6. Which one fictional character would you like to see in your government?

Oooh! Blue, you ask such awesome questions!!! Well......the first guy who pops to mind is Aragorn, but that's just so obvious. I guess there's a reason it's so obvious. He really would make a great leader. Although, it's hard to imagine him as a president instead of a king, isn't it? How'd about Dym from Enemy Brothers? Just because Dym is so splendid and wonderful and conscientious and brave! I love Dym. :)

7. Which one fictional character would you like to take for coffee?

*perks up like a dog asked to go on a walk* Dym? No, I'd rather he take me for coffee...*blushes* Goodness I'm silly...

Oh dear, I feel like there's some poor, plucky, sweet girl I'm just dying to befriend....but I forget who it is. Let's go with Lucy from Narnia. I just started rereading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and she's such a sweetheart!

Illustration (1998) by Deborah Maze for CSL's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.:

8. Which one fictional character would you like to kick in the pants? (or at least just glare at?)

Marius Pontmercy. Next to Victor Hugo, there is no one involved in Les Miserables I would rather give a talking-to. 

9. Which three historical people do you admire most?

*grinds teeth in agony* Blue! Why must you ask such thought-provoking questions?? Well, I'm going to leave saints out of this, because picking between saints would be impossible. :) Hmmm.....

Well, there's Don Juan of Austria. I don't know much about him as a person but the story of the Battle of Lepanto has always been one of my favorites. So when I think "historical heroes" he's kinda the first guy that pops into my head. Another dashing military figure who fascinates me is the French WWI ace Georges Guynemer, but again, that's more of a childish fancy than a real admiration. Also William Wilberforce, although pretty much everything I know of him comes from the movie Amazing Grace (and who counts movies as solid historical sources? but still).

To put George Washington on this list feels really cliche as an American, but really he's quite my favorite U. S. historical figure. :)

And then there's -- ooh! Was going to say Clotilda (the wife of Clovis, the first Catholic king of the Franks), but then I remembered Isabelle of Spain. Both those queens are pretty awesome.

.....Looking over this list and how I totally disobeyed the limit of three, I think it would've been easier to stick to saints. :)

10. Would you rather have the ability to fly or breathe underwater?

Fly! That's always been a dream of mine.

11. Which animal (real or fictional) reminds you most of yourself?

Hmm. That is quite an original one. I'm going to have to saw a macaw. Not because I'm necessary similar to a macaw in any way, but because I had a dear uncle whose nick-name for me was "Macaw" in front of my real name, which starts with an M. And which....I really might as well tell all of you at this point.... 


The best colour combinations are those that Nature approves! | Wild About Birds Nature Center in Layton, Utah sells everything to do with your backyard birds and also offer tours on the Deseret Ranch, which is home to over 100 species of birds! For more information, go to http://wildaboutbirdsnaturecenter.com or call 801-779-BIRD.:

I don't know which animal I'm most similar to. Maybe a plump Rhode Island Red hen? Or a cat that hates the cold? Or a painfully shy bunny rabbit? Or a daydreaming.....what kind of animal daydreams, anyway? A...lizard? or a cat?

Eleven questions for you: 

I'm afraid it shall be impossible to top Blue's! But I'll give it a try:

1. What's your dream travel destination?
2. If you could choose to change your own name, would you? To what?
3. Would you rather be a giant or an elf?
4. If you could master any language instantly, what would it be?
5. Tell us a little bit about several historical figures/stories you find mesmerizing.
6. If you had to choose a spouse from fiction, who would it be?
7. Say the White Witch is about to cast a spell over your country, but she gives you the choice of which season it shall be eternally. Which one do you choose?
8. What's one thing you hope to accomplish before you die?
9. What's your taste in books like when it comes to reading? Writing?
10. What's your favorite song?
11. What one book would you recommend to any random person on the street?

I tag:
And anyone else who wants to join in the fun!

There we go! That concludes this delightful tag which ought to have been completed long ago. :) What about you? Any questions of Blue's that you'd like to answer in the comments? (They were splendiferous questions, were they not?) 

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the tag! Another tag.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Belle! :) I've got a few more to complete yet...so just wait, you'll get tagged again. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay to yet another tag!!! I have to admit those were some pretty incredible questions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tags are fun! And there've been sooo many of them lately, haven't there? :)

      Delete
  3. The tag is up! *cheers!*

    Fact #7- my word! I had a good laugh over that one.

    Funny how you had a Les Mis character for question #8. When I wrote that question Les Mis came to my mind also...but I was thinking of Thenardier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun tag! Thanks for tagging me again, Blue!

      Oh yes...yes, that was naughty of me... :) Thankfully Mom found the frog before the mail lady did.

      Thenardier also is very punchable. :) Actually, there's quite a lot of Les Mis characters who are...

      Delete