Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Happy St. Lucy's Day! Scones, Anyone?

It's St. Lucy's feast day today! Yippee!

I've always loved virgin martyrs, and Lucy is one of my especial friends (I took her name in Confirmation, actually).

St. Lucy  Protector of the Eyes:

You can read more about St. Lucy here. Today, I'm going to talk about a Swedish St. Lucy's Day tradition we've adopted in our family. (Sadly, I didn't learn about this tradition because I'm from a Swedish family - we're actually German/French - but from reading the American Girl Kirsten books. I suppose being a bookworm has its benefits, eh?) 

Kirsten's Surprise - 2013:

So! According to Swedish tradition.....according to "Kirsten's Surprise".....the youngest girl in the family wakes up before anyone else, dresses in a white dress, puts a wreath with candles in it on her head, and makes coffee and scones for the whole family, waking them up with a "St. Lucy welcomes you to breakfast." I'm actually the oldest girl in my family, but there's no way I'm letting my younger sisters take over. Also, I've given up on the candles in the hair and I usually let Mom handle the coffee-making. But! Getting up before anyone else and making scones is lots of fun. In case you want to try, here's the scone recipe I use.

(Credits go to Betty Crocker's Cookbook, the New and Revised edition published by Golden Press/New York, printed 1990. The original recipe can be found on page 29, but I've doubled it and made a few small changes.)

Ingredients:

2/3 cup of butter
3 and 1/2 cups of flour
6 tablespoons of sugar
5 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 beaten eggs
1 cup of raisins (the original recipe says currants work, too, but I've never tried that)
8-12 tablespoons of half-and-half (today, we didn't have half-and-half, so I used cream and milk)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make a dry mix of flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter. Add eggs, raisins, and half-in-half. (The cookbook says to add "just enough half-and-half so dough leaves side of bowl." I always eyeball it.)

Knead the dough, roll it out, and cut it with a cookie cutter, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. (I got 42 scones out of this recipe.) You don't have to grease the cookie sheet. The original recipe says to brush the scones with egg before baking them, but as my whole family hates eggy-tasting things I always skip that part. Today I brushed them with butter before baking. Not sure if it made much of a difference, but they turned out well. 

Happy St. Lucy's Day, everyone!!


6 comments:

  1. Cool! My sister likes to bake, I will have to show her that recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good! Actually Irish soda bread, which I also make on St. Lucy's Day, is yummier (it's about the same ingredients but in different proportions, and with buttermilk instead of half-and-half), but it's not the traditional St. Lucy's Day dish so I didn't include it here. :)

      My sisters like to bake, too! This is about the one day in all the year I'm in the kitchen without them...

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I remember hearing about then candle wreath and such, but I didn't know that this was mostly a Swedish tradition. You say you've given up on the candles in the hair- you mean you've actually tried it at one point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be a non-Swedish tradition as well. I don't really know much about it. *smiles and shrugs*

      Well, not exactly. :) I've done the wreath, and I think once or twice I tried artificial candles...but it's hard to balance them. Maybe if they were real candles it'd be easier, since you'd be more motivated to find a sturdy way to keep them on your head...?

      Delete
  3. Happy Saint Lucy's Day, Lucy Agnes. :D Oh, I've heard of this tradition before! I didn't know that you did it, though. :D You've tried putting candles on your head before? *Gasp*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I never told you about this? Hmm.... That's odd. :)

      Yes, artificial candles. I'm so incredibly brave, aren't I?

      Delete