Friday, October 21, 2016

Totally Should've Book Tag

Well! "When it rains, it pours" can apparently be applied to tags as well as to life in general. A couple of weeks ago I was tagged for the Totally Should've Book Tag by Anna @ Light From the Shadows, and now suddenly I'm drowning in tags. Tags that stare me down from my list of drafts with glaring eyes and mutter, "Finish us or we will finish you..."

Ahem. I'm apparently very dramatic today. (But then, when am I not?) Also I don't think three tags are really capable of drowning me.

And besides, tags are really fun! Thanks so much for this one, Anna!


Totally should've gotten a sequel:

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIM. I need to see whether it was Justin or not...

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien.  This book made me love science fiction from a very early age.  It also taught me that the movie made about the book is never as good as when you pictured it in your head as you read. -Heidi:
Eek, this is the cover of the library copy I had when I first read this book.
It's so beautiful I need to read it again...
I also would've liked to see a sequel to Enemy Brothers. But only because I loved the characters so much. The story itself ended perfectly, and I wouldn't want to mar that perfection by adding another book.

Enemy Brothers:

Totally should've had a spin-off series:

The Chronicles of Narnia. That is to say, 7 children's fantasy books by C. S. Lewis is hardly enough and I've always longed to see what was in those other pools in the Wood Between the Worlds...

The chronicles of Narnia CS Lewis KM YourWeightLossExperts.com:

An author who should totally write more books:

Heheh. I mostly read books by dead authors. Maybe Carmen Marcaux? I know the writing in Arms of Love could've been better, and I haven't even read Surrender, but the world needs these kinds of stories.

Arms of Love--awesome book!  A must read for high schoolers, but adults will also love it!  Surrender is the sequel.:

And ooh! All my writing friends. They count as authors, right??

A character who totally should've ended up with someone else:

Aouda, from Around the World in Eighty Days. I might've been quite a few years younger and naiver when I read this, but I still had very strong feelings regarding her relationship with Phileas Fogg. I mean, what was so great about Phileas Fogg??? Why would her gratitude (and eventually love) fall on him? It was Passepartout who thought up a daring scheme and risked his life to save her! Phileas only risked winning a stupid wager, for Pete's sake. And he had about as much emotion as a clam.

Classic adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, published in 1873. In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a £20,000 wager (roughly £1.6 million today) set by his friends at the Reform Club. It is one of Verne's most acclaimed works.:

Totally should've ended differently:

The Chronicles of Prydain. The High King tore my heart out. I would give my appendix to see that book end differently.

I loved this one, except....Lloyd Alexander, why did you have to make it end that way??? And WHY did you kill off Prince Rhun????:

Totally should have a movie franchise:

The Tom Playfair series! Oh, they would make such awesome movies. Especially that scene on the stormy lake from Harry Dee. I just - it wouldn't even matter to me if they mixed all three books together in one movie, as long as they kept the characters as awesome as they are and respected the original feel of the story. 

Totally should've had a TV show:

A TV show! What a delightful idea! Can I order 500 TV shows based on all my favorite books, please?

The thought just crossed my mind that The Scarlet Pimpernel would make a good one. Because - French Revolution. Aristocrats in jail. The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel. The Scarlet Pimpernel himself. Guillotines. Disguises. Spies. What could make for a better TV show?

The Scarlet Pimpernel. I just got done reading this book, and it was AMAZING. Warning: The movies do not do the book justice.:

I mean, it could basically be like a serious version of Hogan's Heroes set in the 1700s. It would be awesome.

Carter disguised as General "Tiger" Weidler of the Russian Front, and Colonel…:

Totally should've had only one point of view:

Flight of Eagles, by Jack Higgins. This book could've benefited from a lot of things (more showing rather than telling, the deletion of a few totally unnecessary inappropriate paragraphs, more interior monologue, etc., etc.), but limiting it to at most two points of view would've helped it a lot.

Okay, so. I only read the condensed version of this. And it was....awful. I mean, the premise was good, but the writing itself was awful and there were a few inappropriate parts. Worst book I've read this year.:

Totally should have a cover change:

Tom Playfair, Percy Wynn, and Harry Dee. These books are so stupendous, and they deserve MUCH better covers than the ones they currently have. I mean....does that boy look like a nice person to you? He's always looked like a bully to me. Not my picture of Tom, at all.

Tom Playfair = one of the best books ever. If you have not read this book, your life is incomplete.: Percy!! I love this book soo much! It's so GOOD! (In every sense of the word!!) And Tom has matured into such a brave young man from Book 1. Plus Percy is so sweet and good and brave...: Tom and Percy and Harry! They grew up! I could cry!:

Totally should have kept the original covers:

Oh, I don't know. I'm guessing there are some newer editions of the Narnia books that I wouldn't like. I'm never too crazy about books with pictures of the movie on the front. Oh, like Because of Winn Dixie. My copy of Because of Winn Dixie has a movie picture as the cover, and I don't mind it because I saw the movie before reading the book, but I would much prefer the non-movie version.

Kate DiCamillo’s fi rst published novel, like Winn-Dixie himself, immediately  proved to be a keeper — a New York Times bestseller, a Newbery Honor winner, the inspiration for a popular film, and most especially, a cherished classic that touches the hearts of readers of all ages.:               Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo ... hey you...yes you...read this book...:

Totally should've stopped at book one:

I'm gonna go with Little Women for this one. Even though I love Little Men and Jo's Boys. I just find it a bit depressing to reread Little Women and think of what happens to...certain characters...

So it's not a "totally should've." It's just a "maybe should've."

The book that started my love for reading and is, therefore, my favorite book of all time.:

I totally should've stopped reading:

I actually did stop reading Homeport, by Nora Roberts. It just seemed like it was heading in a risque direction. I probably read a little too far. As a matter of fact, I probably should've known better than to start it.

Homeport by: Nora Roberts:
Annnd if I had seen that quote they've got
there I probably wouldn't have started it...

Totally should not have prejudged:

Uh. I prejudge everything that's not a classic. Or at least, I pretend to prejudge everything that's not a classic.

Take the Prydain Chronicles, for example. When Anna first read them and talked about how great they were, I acted all disinterested and priggish. But secretly I was thinking that they looked really cool....

The Chronicles of Prydain: (1) The Book of Three; (2) The Black Cauldron; (3) The Castle of Llyr; (4) Taran Wanderer; (5) The High King BY Lloyd Alexander:

And, oh, I prejudged The Song of Roland. Or at least, I thought it would be totally different than it was. Definitely had no idea, when we were unpacking that box of schoolbooks, that it would be one of my favorite  my very favorite piece of medieval literature.

The Song of Roland by Dorothy L. Sayers http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140440755/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_.c0Mvb0S62GTB:
Looks like a regular old classic, right?
REGULAR OLD CLASSICS
ARE AWESOME.
Well! There's my slapped-together response to the Totally Should've Book Tag. 

On my part, I tag:


And whoever else wants to participate! (And yes, that means you, dear random blogger who just stumbled across this post on accident, and you, dear other random person who doesn't have a blog and would like to participate in the comments or wherever. Just let me know where your post is so I can see it!) 

Of course, there's no obligation, just an invitation. :)

6 comments:

  1. Hehehehe, Lucy, your answers are very similar to how mine would be. And as for this random person who doesn't have a blog, she already did this tag (partially). In a comment on Anna's. Sorry. :P :) Cool post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike. :) Why, have I not seen that comment on Anna's blog? Hmm....I'm sure 'twould be very interesting...

      Delete
  2. Yayayay! Oh yes, Enemy Brothers is totally awesome. :D And I agree that Tom Playfair and the other two need different colors. Those books deserve awesome covers because of how awesome they are. :)

    https://annadeubell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enemy Brothers is indeed remarkable. I'm so glad a certain wonderful person made me read it. :) And yes, someone needs to come out with a new and improved edition of Tom Playfair! I'm glad TAN prints it and everything, but they kinda make it look like a textbook instead of the wonderful novel that it is.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the tag! Book tags are always fun.

    I have The Song of Roland as well! Mine's the Glyn Burgess translation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Blue! Can't wait to see yours!

      Ooh, you've got The Song of Roland! Have you read it? I don't think I'm familiar with the Glyn Burgess translation, but the Dorothy Sayers one was stupendous. :)

      Delete