Friday, September 9, 2016

Gregory's Interview

It's time for Gregory's interview!

(Before we begin, an apologetic sidebar to my dear readers whom I've been totally ignoring in the last few days. Life's been rather busy recently, but I plan to catch up on all my online stuff - including replying to comments - as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow.) :)


Medieval little boy:

Me:
Well, Gregory, are you ready for your interview?

(Gregory, squirming in his chair, grins and nods.)

Me:
First question: what do you think of Ellen? Do you know her well?

Gregory:
Ellen? Of course I know her! She's like my sister, except she's not my sister because we have different parents. I like her. I like her a lot. I think she's the best girl in the whole world.
*cocks head, thinks for a moment*
I don't know any other girls.

Me:
*smiling*
What do you think of Arthur? Do you know him well?

Gregory:
Arthur's my brother! Of course I know him. I like him a lot, too. 
*a thoughtful grimace, grotesque in its intensity*
I don't know if I like him better than Ellen.

Me:
What's your favorite food?

Gregory:
Ohh, those soft rolls of bread Abel brings back from the castle sometimes! They're the best, especially when they're really buttery and dipped in soup. 
*mournfully*
Just thinking about them makes me hungrier. 

Me:
Can you read? Do you like to?

Gregory:
*shakes head*
No, I can't read. Ellen says she'll teach me, but we never have time.

Me:
Now here's a series of "what ifs." What would you say if you were told Arthur was getting married?

Gregory:
*squints an eye at me*
Who's he getting married to?

(I shrug.)

Gregory:
*eagerly*
Ellen?

Me:
*laughs*
Sure.

Gregory:
Whoever he gets married to will be just like my sister, right?

Me:
Right.

Gregory:
Then, if it was Ellen, I'd say, "Hooray!"
*grins*
That'd be nice. I wouldn't have to keep saying "she's just like my sister except she's not my sister." I could just say "she's my sister."

Me:
*smiling*
That's right. Now a sad one. What would you say if you were told Arthur was going to die?

Gregory:
Arthur?! Die?!

Me:
It's only a what-if, Arthur.

Gregory:
I'd - I'd do something to stop it. Go fight the bad guy who was going to kill him, or find a doctor if he was sick, or bring him food if he was starving, or something.

Me:
What if you were told he would be a general someday?

Gregory:
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised. Arthur can do anything.

Me:
What if you were told he was secretly a great king?

Gregory:
That makes me secretly a great prince, right?

Me:
*laughs a little*
Right.

Gregory:
*grins*
Well, that wouldn't be half bad. We could live in a castle and have buttered rolls every day, right?

Me:
Sure. Now. What is your favorite prank you've ever played on someone?

Gregory:
Uhm....well, I stole Arthur's buttered roll one time when I pointed to the other side of the room and said "Look at that!" That was the tastiest prank. But Mother made me feel really bad for it, so it can't be my favorite.
*thinks*
Maybe...oh, oh! One time I convinced Abel there was a snake. That one was really funny, because it's so funny to see Abel scared. I tried it lots of times after that, and sometimes it worked, but never as well as the first time.

Me:
What do you want to be when you grow up?

Gregory:
*surprised*
Do I have a choice?

Me:
Pretend you do.

Gregory:
Anything but a serf! Maybe a king. A king who has buttered rolls every day. *grins* That'd be nice.

Me:
If you had a chance to go on a grand, daring adventure, would you?

Gregory:
*eyes shining*
Yes!

Me:
Who is the most fun - Arthur, Ellen, or Abel?

Gregory:
Abel. Except that Abel never lets us talk bad about Garlon, and I like talking bad about Garlon. It's fun.

Me:
What would you do if somebody in your family died?

(Gregory looks unsettled.)

Me:
It's just a what-if, Gregory.

Gregory:
Cry. I'd be so sad.

Me:
Have you ever (or ever wanted to) run away? What caused it? What stopped you?

Gregory:
Running away? Ellen talks about that sometimes. Usually when it's just me and her. I never really think she will, but I always say if she ever runs away I'll come with her. It's no fun here. But we have to stay, because of Mother and Arthur and Abel being here and not wanting to leave. And besides, we couldn't go anywhere else. The wildlands are all around. And Garlon would catch us.

Me:
Have you ever seen Lord Garlon?

Gregory:
*cocks head*
Maybe once or twice, a long time ago. I don't really remember. Never up close.

Me:
Do you like spinach?

Gregory:
I like any food I can get! Except for Ellen's carrot-and-onion soup. *grimaces* We have that way too much.

Me:
Why do you like black griffins?

Gregory:
You told them I like black griffins?

Me:
No, but my sisters have kinda read that chapter...

Gregory:
Oh. Well, I don't really like black griffins, I just never saw one before.

Me:
Do you ever get slaphappy? That means...you know, silly.

Gregory:
*grins*
All the time!

Me:
Are you shy?

Gregory:
*cocks head*
I don't think so. Not around people I know. Maybe around strangers.
I never see any strangers, so I don't know.

Me:
Do you know how to ride?

Gregory:
*sadly*
No. Abel promises he'll teach me to ride someday, but we don't have a horse or anything, and I'm too little to ride a griffin.

Me:
Do you have any pets?

Gregory:
Sometimes I talk to the rat that lives in the corner.
*eyes grow wide*
Oh! Don't tell Mama there's a rat there!

Me:
*a smile*
Don't worry, I won't. What's your favorite time of the year?

Gregory:
The warm time. Then I can go barefoot, and I don't have to worry about only having one blanket.

Me:
Who do you play with when you don't play with Ellen or Arthur or Abel?

Gregory:
Oh, the other serf boys. And the rat. There's not much play time, though.

Me:
Do you get to see Arthur very much?

Gregory:
Well, I used to all the time, but now that he's a guard he's busy lots. I don't like it.

Me:
What's your favorite color?

Gregory:
Red.

Me:
Have you ever been seriously sick?

Gregory:
No. I've always been really healthy.

Me:
Is Ellen like a second mother to you?

Gregory:
No, she's like a sister.

Me:
Are there ever any jousting tournaments or anything at the castle, and if so, do you get to see them?

Gregory:
No, the castle's really boring. Nobody ever comes to Norsia because it's so far away from everything and surrounded by mountains. And it's cold and crops don't grow too well. At least, that's what everyone says.

Me:
Do you paint or draw?

Gregory:
There's nothing to paint or draw with.

Me:
Are you ambitious?

Gregory:
*squints*
What's that mean?

Me:
It means you have big plans and want to do important things.

Gregory:
Like learning to ride a griffin?

Me:
*smiles*
I guess that could be considered an ambition. Do you ever want to do anything like, say, become a soldier?

Gregory:
Could I be with Arthur all the time, then?

Me:
Sure.

Gregory:
Oh, then I want to be a soldier.

Me:
What is your greatest dream?

Gregory:
Well, I once had a dream that I could fly. That was pretty great.

Me:
*laughs*
No, no, no, I mean, what's your greatest hope? If you could have anything, what would it be?

Gregory:
A warm cloak, and a nice house, and as many buttered rolls as I could eat, and a griffin of my own that I could ride whenever I want.

Me:
Who's the best prank victim?

Gregory:
Well...Ellen usually snaps at me when I play a prank on her, so she's not much fun. And Arthur doesn't usually fall for anything. So Abel.

Me:
Does Arthur ever let you hold his sword or wear his helmet?

Gregory:
*eyes shining*
He let me hold his sword last time he came for a visit!
I never thought about the helmet. I'll have to ask him to let me try it on.

Me:
Have you ever sabotaged the carrot-and-onion soup?

Gregory:
What's that mean?

Me:
Sabotaged...you know, ruined.

Gregory:
Oh. No. If I did that we wouldn't have anything to eat, and even onion-and-carrot soup is better than nothing.

Me:
All right, Gregory, I believe that's all! Thanks so much for letting us interview you.

I hope you've enjoyed meeting Gregory! The candidates for the next interview are:

1. Romuald - from Gregory's story, a mysterious visitor with an eyepatch and a black griffin

2. Lillian - the titular character of my middle-grade fantasy, a tiny girl who thinks she's a mouse

Vote for whoever interests you in the comments, and I'll put up a bio soon! 

11 comments:

  1. Aww, he's so cute.... He reminds me of my little brother, except more talkative and slightly less Prince-Charming-like. I think I'll vote Romauld, 'cuz I think that'd be interesting, and it seems as though everyone is avoiding talking to him... *snickers* maybe it's the eye-patch and sinister look. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you like Gregory, Isi!
      Romuald, I'm sure, is very grateful for your attention....or perhaps not. Truth be told, I have not such access to his thoughts and opinions as I do my other characters...

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love Gregory! He is just like one of my little brothers!
    I vote for Romauld. I mean, how often do you get to ask questions to a mysterious, creepy guy with an eye patch? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little brothers are delightful, aren't they? Such good character inspiration. :)
      Not very often...come to think of it, I've never interviewed a mysterious, creepy guy with an eyepatch, and I doubt Romuald's ever been interviewed on a blog, so if these election results hold the outcome will be a new experience for all of us!

      Delete
  3. He's adorable (although he probably won't like me saying that)! I love the responses. It felt as if there was a real flesh-and-blood little boy answering.

    Romuald has been a candidate for some time now, I think. I vote we give him his chance. (Besides, Gregory's fascination with griffons is infectious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blue! I'm so glad Gregory came off as realistic. :)

      Teehee, Romuald would appear to be leading in the polls... (And what's not to like about griffins?)

      Delete
  4. Pinky and Ponky both vote for Romuald!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for Romuald!!!

    annadeubell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete