Monday, September 19, 2016

Beautiful People - September

You thought I was going to skip Beautiful People this month, didn't you? Hehe...so did I. :) But it's all good, because in the end (before the end, really) I remembered!

PAPERFURY

So. Beautiful People is a wonderful link-up hosted by Cait and Sky, and if you haven't already you should definitely go to one of their websites and join in the fun! It's a great way to get to know your characters (and a chance to talk about them as much as you want...so who could say no?). 

This month, after a bit of deliberating, I've decided to feature Pep, a fairy from my current work in progress Lillian

Pep:
It is SO MUCH EASIER to find fairy pictures than it is
to find any other character type on Pinterest...in my humble
opinion. This is a spectacular rendering of Pep. :)

How did you come up with this character?

I honestly don't remember. Probably I discovered her in the fairy-inhabited lake my family's been visiting for the past ten years, peeking out from behind the lady's slippers or skimming over the water on the back of a dragonfly.

On my ninth birthday my grandparents gave me a notebook with a picture of Tinkerbell on the front. I decided to write a story about fairies in the notebook, and Pep was the heroine; but I'm pretty sure Pep existed before that Tinkerbell notebook came into my life. (By the by, Pep was very similar to Tinkerbell for a very long time. I think she's grown into her own character by now; but there was a time all my fairies were practically plagiarized from Disney.)

Has she ever been starving? Why? And what did she eat to break the fast?

If she ever has been starving, she's never told me about it. I can't imagine her getting into a situation where lack of food/drink is a problem; she's so familiar with edible berries and mushrooms and woodsy things like that, and she hardly ever leaves the wood. Still...I suppose it could happen...

Apple Blossom Fairies, Cicely Mary Barker:
Okay, so Pep doesn't have any little fairies around to
take care of...but I just may have to give her some. 

Does she have a talent or skill that she's proud of?

Um...no? That's silly; there must be something.

Well. There was a draft or a short story a long time ago where she tamed a dragonfly. Which was unheard of. So does the courageous ability to govern wild insects count?

Oh, oh! I remember something. She can fight. I mean, it's not like she's got a black belt in karate or can wield a blade with the skill of Inigo Montoya, but she's not afraid to sock a Turvy in the nose. I think she's glad she can do that, but to say she's "proud of it" might be a stretch. Such tomboyish goings-on are rather frowned upon by the Fairy Queen.

List 3 things that would make her lose her temper.

I'm so glad you asked!

1. Turvies teasing/bullying something smaller and weaker than themselves. (i.e. Lillian)
2. Forest-folk caving to the influence of the Turvies and adopting their rowdy ways.
3. Anyone insulting the Fairy Queen.

Sweet pea fairies.  Cicely Marie Barker:

What is her favorite type of weather? Least favorite?

Oh, Pep likes every kind of weather, but I think she must like September weather most of all. And not the kind of hot September weather we've been having around here this year. I mean the real, exhilarating coolness of early fall, a coolness soaked through with warmth and sunshine - a clear blue sky littered with piles of white cloud, and a sun that sheds golden light over the world, and a light wind that teases the turning leaves from the trees.

Least favorite? Hmm. She probably wouldn't appreciate a long, drawn-out, drizzly week of cold gray rain. Thunderstorms she'll welcome with open arms, but a week of drizzling? No thanks.

What is her Hogwarts house and/or MBTI personality?

ESTP-A, apparently. I looked up a list of ESTP characters and a few that I knew included Scarlett O'Hara (ew), Rhett Butler (double ew), Han Solo (all right, I can see that), Tintin (that delighted me), Robin Hood (definitely), and Grantaire from Les Miserables (hmm....).

You're in mixed company there, Pep.

Illustration for the Narcissus Fairy from Flower Fairies of the Garden. A girl fairy runs from a group of narcissus on the right, with her hand raised, calling out.                                       Author / Illustrator         Cicely Mary Barker    A young Alondra, I think:

Is she more likely to worry about present problems, or freak out about the unknown future?

Oh, certainly worry about present problems. Pep's not a worry-wart; when she encounters a problem, her attitude is more, "Okay, let's fix this, it'll be an adventure!" than it is, "Oh no, what are we going to do?!"

What is her favorite thing to drink?

Goodness, I had this figured out at one point. What fairies drink, I mean. Have you ever had a home-made ice cream float? Red pop or root beer? You know that yummy cold foamy liquid that's left over after you've eaten all the solid ice cream? The sort of drink fairies have in the summer-time is kind of like that. They also drink nectar. In the winter they have more of a really really creamy hot chocolate - except, they're not limited to chocolate as a flavor. Those would have to be Pep's favorite drinks.

The Cherry Tree Fairy... We want to put a cherry tree in the corner and make the…:

What is her favorite color? Least favorite?

Pep likes to wear soft woodsy colors, like green and brown. Stains don't show up so easily on them, so she can be a bit rowdy (gasp! that's the word that describes the Turvies!) without really attracting the Fairy Queen's disfavor. A princess is supposed to be neat and tidy at all times, you know - even a fairy princess.

Least favorite? Hmm, she doesn't really have one. Unless it's black. I can't see Pep ever wearing black or much appreciating anything which had black as a dominant color.

What is a book that changed her life?

Sad to say, I have no idea. (It's a pity, isn't it?!? This is such a fun question! Maybe I can sneak it into the next BP post...?) You see, the collection of books in the Fairy Queen's library is quite different from any collection of books in our world. No human authors, y'know. So while I'm sure there is a book that has been a big part of Pep's life, she hasn't shown it to me yet or told me much about it. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll have to write it...

So that's Pep! I hope you've liked this sneak peek into her character. Have you ever written about a fairy? Or looked up your characters' personality types? And are any of you doing Beautiful People this month? (If so, I'd love to read your post!!)

(Oh, and my apologies to anyone who was looking for yesterday's Catholicism Explained...I never got around to picking out a topic. Pathetic, isn't it? I blame the terrible institution known as The School Year. Which is actually a lame excuse, especially on the weekend. But I ramble. Share your ideas for next week's CE in the comments, too, if you want!)

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I think she's a dear! So cute, this whole story is! I've never (yet) written about a fairy. I really want to! Although... *musing* hmmm.... the MC in my fantasy would just LOVE it if he were to get delayed by some naughty sprites or "helpful" fairies.... *smiles deviously* Unfortunately, I have no idea what the whole MBTI thing is, and so I have never. And I didn't know how to do the Hogwarts thing either, but at least I know what it is, so I just took a reasonable guess for my BP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad you like it, Isi! :) Oooh, I would love to see you write about a fairy in such a (potentially amusing!) situation!

      Oh yeah, the whole MBTI thing is a little weird. :P It's kinda interesting though. Apparently I have the same personality as Frodo, Faramir, and Gollum from The Lord of the Rings....*sucks air through teeth* As for Hogwarts, I am a stubborn Harry Potter hater ("hate" is a strong word, but I use it for the sake of alliteration) and so refused to look into that part of the question. :P Oh yes! Your beautiful Beautiful People!! In that email which I still have to get around to answering...............

      Delete
  2. Oh, I read the chapter with Pep in it just today, actually! (It's on the Inklings now by the way) That makes it ever the more fun the read her BP and see a little bit more of what she is like and, especially, what she looks like!
    I have never written a fairy story before, but your story very much tempts me to. I have been seriously considering it! :)
    Okay, so I had no idea about the thing that tells you other famous people in your personality type. I just went back and looked at Adeline's BP personality on the website (ENFP, The Campaigner), and it says that Robert Downey Jr. is in that category. I almost burst out laughing. I mean I know that it isn't truly him as Ironman, but all that I am seeing in my head is Tony Stark (who has the most opposite personality to Adeline as possible). :P
    Anyway, I loved reading your BP, Lucy! I am so glad that you did one this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's a funny coincidence, Anna! Well, maybe not so much of a coincidence, but still. :)

      Fairy stories are so much fun. I'd love to see you write one!

      Ha! Oh, that is funny. I'm not too familiar with Tony Stark, and I'm definitely not as familiar with Adeline as I'd like to be, but even I can see there's not much of a similarity there. :)

      I'm so glad you liked it, Anna! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Hehehehe, I actually share this one. I took the thing, and I share Adeline's persona (as well as Willy Wonka, whom I actually have been compared to before, and Robert Downey Jr. to my great shame).

      Delete
    3. Willy Wonka, eh? Interesting! :) I have to figure out all my characters' personality types...

      Delete
  3. YAY!!! Pep! I love Pep. :) Haha, I can really only see how she might be similar to Han Solo. None of the others. I love the pictures too! They're really pretty! Ugh, I don't like long drawn-out drizzly weeks either.
    Yes, I did BP too, but you already knew that. ;)

    annadeubell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. :) Hmm, I guess I haven't watched Star Wars in a long time. (Tragic.) I thought Robin Hood was nearer the mark than Han Solo, though. Oh, and Peter Pan was also on the list. Still, I feel like there are so many characters that are really similar to Pep...maybe I answered the MBTI questions wrongly. :P

      Aren't those pictures just the cutest?? I think they're all by the same artist...a Mary Somebody? Whoever she is, I'd love to collect the complete collection of her fairy pictures...

      Yes, I did know that. Your BP was amazing. :)

      Delete
    2. "Collect the complete collection." Ha. That was redundant. :P

      Delete
  4. Pep sounds like an awesome character! I love how she tames dragonflies, and we both feel the same about September!

    As for CE, I'm sorry that I haven't been exploring them as I said I would! I have no excuse, really, but it may take some time for me to get around to them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like her, Blue! Ohh, you like September, too?? That's something we've got in common, then! It's my favorite month in the whole year. :) (Of course, I say that about every month when it comes, but I mean it with September!)

      Oh, goodness gracious, don't worry about it! I have no excuse for failing to put them up half the time...although, if you want time to go explore the rest of them, maybe I can use that as an excuse.... ;)

      Delete