Weekly Writing Update

For a few weeks now I've been playing with the idea of giving weekly writing updates on this blog. After all, what's more fun than blabbering about characters and plots and writing block and such? Besides, having a certain day when I have to answer the question "What have you been writing lately?" might motivate me to actually write.

Exquisite - writing anything with a fountain pen.:

Because I've been in a bit of a slump lately. That seems to happen whenever I'm confronted with the Herculean task of - editing. (Cue thunderclap, please.)

Or maybe it's not such a Herculean task. Maybe I would like it if I sat down and tackled the beast. Like math; math works that way. But I ramble.

There's so much on my writing to-do list I haven't been getting any of it done. It's sad. I just don't know what to focus on. Should I take out decade-old Lillian and whisk it into shape? Or start on that second draft of Ellen's story? Or should I run off with that entirely new and temptingly tantalizing time-traveling story?

Well! I finally decided to save the time-traveling idea for NaNoWriMo. And focus on Lillian. And save Ellen for a later date.

Nevertheless, I didn't get much Lillian written this week.

What did I do?

I wrote an outline. For the beginning of The Time-Traveling League. And I am prodigiously proud of myself.

See, usually I'm a panster, not a plotter. But I was talking to my dear friend Anna the other day (you can find her splendiferous blog here), and her beautiful precious sparkly crisp outlines stole my heart. Call me a copycat. But I had to try this outlining thing if only to have such a pretty document among my files. :)

(Actually I really am a copycat. You see that new "My Writing Projects" tab up there? That's in emulation of Anna's blog. Sorry if that's plagiarism, Anna dear. Imitation is the highest form of praise, you know.)

Anyway! So that was this week. By next week I hope to have actually given Lillian some serious attention...

(Poor Lillian. The dear girl is actually starving for care. Practically my first-born baby, abandoned to survive as best she can among reams of yellowed paper and old forgotten Microsoft Word documents!)

So, fellow-writers, I'm dying to know - do you outline or not? Anybody else a coward when it comes to editing? And are you familiar with that quandary of not knowing which story to work on? 

Comments

  1. Hehehhehehhe, I outline very well actually. Just in my head, though. Unless there's something vital which I know I'll forget (which I still often do) I don't usually write down more than an important scene or two for plot outline. I just make a skeleton plot in my head, and fill-in the skeleton when I write it, and give the skeleton some more fill-ins when I edit it (because I re-draft more than I edit, really, and add more than I delete). Yeah, total coward of editing right here. :) Instead of merely editing it nice and neat, I'm completely going big, and EEP-ing, (Extreme Editing Phase). I am totally third-drafting my main story, Alomina, right now.( http://theinklings.wixsite.com/inklings/single-post/2016/08/19/Alomina-or-The-Book-of-Many-Journeys-Ch-9 ). But anyways, I am in that same quandary, Lucy. I feel for you. my voices are arguing with each other in my head -- Voice 1. We should continue overhauling Alomina. Voice 2. What do you mean 'we'? I am busy working on romantic comedy... Voice 3. What? Romantic comedy? How about we work on that abandoned old fantasy instead? And from there, it turns out like the bar-fight in Guys And Dolls..... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Dear Isi! :) Yeah, I usually made those kind of outlines in my head, except they never really worked for me. I think I'm just so character-focused; I think of all these cool scenes based totally on character interaction (or character deaths; sometimes I just need a character to die because the scene would be so interesting), and then think of a really weak plot whose express purpose is to get me to those interesting plot points. My plots never have much driving force to them. :P But I'm trying to change that!

      Oh, EEP-ing! That's exactly what I need to do. Third-drafting...yup. This is probably the third or fourth draft of Lillian.

      Eek! The Inklings! I need to get back to that. I feel so bad I didn't submit my next chapter of Lillian on Saturday like I meant to...

      Those voices. So unruly! Characters behave better, which is saying something.

      Delete
  2. I like this idea! And how dare you steal my outlining ideas?! ;) Just kidding, I'm glad they inspired you. I'm having a problem with not knowing what to write either...I need to outline three stories but I'm having a hard time just focusing on one.

    https://annadeubell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am a thief - I deserve to be captured, brought to trial, and hung (that was a reference to Laramie). I'm glad you're a more understanding bounty hunter than Sam Jared (also a reference to Laramie).

      Ugh! Not knowing what to write is the worst! And the best, I suppose, when it's caused by having an excess rather than a deficiency of stories. I can't wait to see these wonderful new stories of yours!!

      (My apologies for the excessive Laramie talk. I'm in a rather slaphappy mood...)

      Delete
  3. A weekly writing post is a good idea! (It might even inspire me to get to work with my own projects!)
    I don't know what I'd do without outlining. I need something to keep my plot points and ideas in order.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Heroes

Daily Sacrifices

October's Fiction