Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Arthur's Interview

It's time for Arthur's interview! High time, yes?     

Castle Gate, Scotland:

Me:
So, you've been a guard at the palace for about a year now, Arthur. Are you proud of that position?

Arthur:
Well, I don't think it's any more honorable than working in the fields, if that's what you mean. But I am proud that I was chosen for the job.

Me:
Are you happy?

Arthur:
*shrugs*
As happy as I'll ever be. Guard duty is more enjoyable than field work, and now that I earn a small salary I can help Mother more than I could before. As long as I've got Mother and Gregory and Ellen and Abel, I can't complain.

Me:
Do you have any plans for the future?

Arthur:
I don't know. It's hard to see farther than a few days at a time. Most men of my position marry and start a family eventually, so I guess that's what I'll do.

Me:
Who is your best friend?

Arthur:
*thinks for a moment*
Abel. Nothing against Gregory, but Gregory's too young to be interested in the same things as I am. And Ellen - well, Ellen's a girl.

Me:
If you had but one wish, to hold and keep and have for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Arthur:
*furrows his brow*
That's hard.

Me:
Maybe there's a certain somebody you care about?

Arthur:
I guess I'd wish something for my family. I'd like them to have a nicer house and warm clothes and plenty of food. I'd like to know they were provided for.

Me:
What makes you laugh?

Arthur:
*smiles*
Gregory. He's our little court jester.

Me:
What disgusts you?

Arthur:
Hmm. *thinks for a moment* Nobles. Not all nobles, just the really foppish or over-dignified ones who have more than is good for them and don't ever seem to think of lesser folk. I've seen a few of those. *smiles* Actually, they make me laugh sometimes, too.

Me:
What are the pains and rewards of being a guard?

Arthur:
Well, the biggest pain is how boring it is.

Me:
Boring? *smiles* Why?

Arthur:
Well, I'm used to working in the fields all day, feeling dirt between my fingers and going to bed tired as anything. Now there's nothing to do but stand poker-stiff at attention all the time. When I'm on sentry duty, that is.
Garlon doesn't really need a guard, you know. He just has one because the castle would lose its last smidgeon of grandeur otherwise. Or maybe because he's a coward.
*shrugs*
But it's not all boring. I like the training - exercising and fencing and things like that.

Me:
Would that fit under "rewards"?

Arthur:
The biggest reward is bringing my pay back home, sometimes with a treat for Gregory. Or maybe just the way Mother looks at me when I'm in uniform.

Me:
You wish Ellen would be a little more impressed with your sword and armor, don't you?

Arthur:
*surprised*
How did you know about that?

Me:
I'm your writer. You can't keep secrets from me. Now. This is a very important question, so you must answer it truthfully and completely. Tea or coffee? With cream and sugar?

Arthur:
*laughs*
Coffee, if I can get it. With sugar.

Me:
Thank you. Would you like to be king one day?

Arthur:
*starts*
King?!

Me:
Mm-hmm.

Arthur:
Me? The king?
*stares*
*laughs*
Goodness, I don't know. I suppose it'd be nice. I could make laws requiring noblemen to treat their serfs well.

Me:
I'm pretty sure there are laws like that.

Arthur:
Really? Then why doesn't Garlon follow them?

Me:
Hold on, Arthur, we'll get to your opinion of Garlon later. Do you think you could fight if need be?

Arthur:
I think so. Maybe not as well as some, but I think I could. I can already handle a sword pretty well.

Me:
Who is your favorite person in the world besides your family?

Arthur:
Well, Ellen and Abel aren't technically my family, but I feel like they are. Then there are a few men in the guard who are good friends. I can't say I have a favorite, though.

Me:
What's your daily routine as a guard like?

Arthur:
Rise at sunup - I sleep in the castle now - report for duty and do what I'm told. The guards get rotated out for different positions in shifts - usually two or three hours on sentry duty broken up by breaks and meals, and two training sessions a day. Things are pretty well-regulated.

Me:
Can you tell us some funny/happy/interesting things you remember from growing up with Abel and Ellen?

Arthur:
Well, there was the way Ellen always used to fuss over Abel and I. I suppose she still does a little, but not as pathetically as she used to. She was such a mother hen as a little girl!
And then, Abel's fear of snakes could get pretty ridiculous. He's not a coward, but snakes were one thing that could make him look like one. Sometimes in the fields, he would break off in the middle of a sentence to jump back when he thought there was a snake. And once he fell down. The look on his face! I laughed so hard.

Me:
Off the record, what is your opinion of Lord Garlon?

Arthur:
He's a selfish coward, and I don't like him.

Me:
Do you know Ellen or Abel better?

Arthur:
*cocks head*
I wouldn't say I know one of them better than the other. I might be a little more familiar with Abel.

Me;
What's your favorite memory?

Arthur:
Huh. *scratches head* That's hard. There are so many.
I suppose my memories of my father. He died when Gregory was a baby.

Me:
What are you afraid of?

Arthur:
Not snakes. *laughs*

Me:
Spiders? Heights? The dark?

Arthur:
Well, actually, I'm always afraid someone in my family will get sick. Like my father. Serfs are always getting sick and dying without any warning.

Me:
Probably because of poor living conditions. When was the first time you picked up a sword?

Arthur:
The day of the contest - when Garlon was choosing a serf to join the guard.

Me:
You'd never touched a sword, and you were chosen?

Arthur:
None of the other serfs had, either. I told you, Garlon doesn't really need a guard. He doesn't care if it's made up of clumsy peasants as long as they look intimidating.

Me:
Hate to break it to you, Arthur, but you don't look very intimidating. *laughs* All right, Arthur, I'll let you go now. Don't want you to be late for sentry duty!

So there's Arthur! I hope you've enjoyed meeting him. 

Who would you like to meet next? Our candidates are:
1. Romuald - a rather mysterious visitor to the castle who has an eyepatch and a black griffin
2. Gregory - Arthur's mischievous little brother

Leave your vote in the comments! Majority rules!

12 comments:

  1. I loved this!
    Gregory! I definitely vote Gregory. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna!
      (Ha...I'm so used to calling you Andrea on here...)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love Arthur soooooo much! :') But I think my vote (dare I contradict Anna) places with Romauld. I've never interviewed or had anyone interview a villainish person before, so I'm eager to ask him stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love him so, Isi! :) Ah, so we have a tie. This shall be interesting! Who shall cast the decisive vote?

      Delete
  3. I believe I shall! :) I am back for a day before I'm off again, so I will vote Romauld, merely because he's been here longer and I'd be fine with either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romuald would appear to be the winner, then! At this point, at least. :) Thanks for relieving the suspense, Darin! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love Arthur! He is so sweet and caring! I believe that I will vote for Gregory! He sounds like a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice to see you here, Coral! I'm glad you like Arthur. Oh, so we have another tie! I say! This is extremely interesting...

      Delete
    2. Well, I will relent of my vote for Romauld, then, because I'm fine with either and only voted Romauld because he had been waiting. I now shall say Gregory. But I don't now if you should count my vote, though, because I will be gone (as of this evening) for a few days.

      Delete
    3. Oh, of course we'll count your vote, Darin. :)

      Delete
  5. This was great! Arthur is so LIKEABLE. And Gregory! I love little kids :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! I'm glad you like Arthur. :) Gregory it is then!

      Delete