Friday, June 10, 2016

Rosalie's Interview

Yes, I'm actually posting Rosalie's interview - a month after the bio went up! I'm in "a tearing hurry," to quote Little Women, and therefore this is being posted without any pictures or colors or anything at all interesting. But at least it's being posted, right?

Thanks to all who provided the questions! They're quite interesting, as always.

Now! Without further ado, here's Rosalie's interview. (Hey that rhymed...)

Me:
Well, Rosalie, are you ready to be interviewed?

Rosalie:
*giggles*
Of course. If you're ready to interview me.

Me:
I ought to be. These questions have been waiting for forever!
All right, let's get started. What is your favorite memory of your mother?

Rosalie:
*claps hands together*
Oh, what a lovely question. It's a terribly hard one, though - I have so many memories of Mother.
*lays finger on her lips*
Hm. Well, I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is walking around in the flower fields with her. There are whole meadows of flowers around the castle in springtime. One time a butterfly - a beautiful thing with black wings edged in gold - came and landed on Mother's hand. She held it up and showed it to me and said, "Look, Rosalie - look how beautiful he is. You see what a wonderful world we live in? You see how fragile and intricate his wings are?"
*voice softens*
She was always fascinated by beautiful things, Mother was.

Me:
What talents do you have?

Rosalie:
Oh, talents? Me?
*laughs*
That's a funny one. Well, I'm rather musical. I can sing, and play the harp rather well.

Me:
Describe a typical day at the castle.

Rosalie:
Oh, it's a dream. I'm a frightfully spoiled princess. Every day I rise at seven or eight and have a bevy of maids help me dress. They're sweet girls, my maids, but rather foolish and almost obliging, you know - no personality. I have a few tutors coming in and out through the day - handwriting, music, embroidery, history - but for the most part I'm free to do as I like, whether it be wander around among the flowers or curl up in my room with a book. There are three meals a day, each one a formal event. We - my maids and I - generally retire at eight or nine, unless there's a banquet or a dance or something, in which case we sometimes stay up until midnight.

Me:
How did you learn to swim?

Rosalie:
Swim?

Me:
Yes, swim.

Rosalie:
I can't swim.

Me:
You mean you have a ship of your own, but you can't swim?

Rosalie:
Oh, dear! That ship. I've never thought of taking it out on the water. I suppose it could - yes, I suppose it could - but I really don't know. I never thought of it. There isn't an ocean for miles around; I've always flown it in the air.

Me:
Isn't there anywhere you could learn to swim?

Rosalie:
Well, there's a pond - but it's ever so green and murky, and full of fish and bugs and snakes. We wade in the streams now and then, but they're all too shallow for swimming.

Me:
What do you think of Ellen? Do you become friends? How do you work together?

Rosalie:
*laughing*
Oh, Ellen's a sweet girl. She's very good - and so real. A very refreshing change from my dear silly maids. We're very good friends. It was easy for us to bond because we were both so worried about our brothers. We're pretty different, but we get along well. Ellen's a girl of action - everything's urgent with her, and when she wants something done she does it, herself. She's not afraid of anything - well, almost anything. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere or do anything on my own, but with her to lead me I'm quite content. There's only one thing I'd change about Ellen, and that's how serious she always is. She needs to smile more.

Me:
What's something that reminds you of your father and your brother?

Rosalie:
*in a troubled voice*
War. Anything that has to do with battles - blood and armor and weapons. Every time I see or hear about something hard, I think of them, so far away and in such danger and discomfort all the time.

Me:
What, in your entire life, do you feel has made the most difference?

Rosalie:
Oh. What a hard one. Well, I suppose the war. It changed Mother and Father, and Tristan most of all. It made me spend so much of my time thinking; it took everyone away somehow or other. So it's shaped who I am, I guess.

Me:
What is your dream for your future romantic partner, provided you have one?

Rosalie:
*blushes*
Oh, dear. Well...he has to be good and brave and gentle and loving. I want him to be a lot like my father - responsible and strong and tender, too, and selfless - and like the good blacksmith who helped Ellen and I even though he didn't know us. Oh, and one more thing: he has to smile a lot, and be cheerful even when things look black. I love Tristan dearly, but he's so gloomy. My husband's going to have to be happy.

Me:
Do you like to plan for your friends and family?

Rosalie:
Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "plan." I would love to plan surprises for them - parties, and presents, and such. But I don't get much of a chance. Especially for Tristan and Father. They're away ever so much. Every time they come home I try to get up some kind of wonderful surprise for them - but no matter what I do, Tristan never seems to enjoy it very much.
*sighs*
*smiles*
If you mean "plan their lives," then the answer's no. I would love to tell Father and Tristan to come home and stay with me for forever - but they wouldn't listen, so I don't even try.

Me:
Of embroidery, house-making, and such other occupations, which one is your favorite?

Rosalie:
*claps hands*
Ooh!
*face falls into perplexed expression*
I really don't know. Embroidery's quite fun - I love to work with all the colorful threads. And I also love nursing. Thank goodness I don't get a chance to do that very often, but it is so lovely to be able to help when someone's hurting.
*smiles*
Besides, oftentimes "nursing" means taking care of Father and Tristan when they've come home to recover from some wound. I hate to see them hurt, but - I do love to have them to myself!

Me:
All right, that's it. Thanks, Rosalie! *turns to audience* Speaking of Tristan, I do believe he's the last of the four main characters in this story who still needs interviewed. So we'll forego the voting this time, and I'll put up Tristan's bio...soon.

(Yes, soon! I really mean it! I promise! I promise!)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Finally! Thanks Lucy! I love her answers, and believe that when it's Tristan's turn I will indeed be putting down some questions! Also, have you worked any more on this story? Like drafting it more? I have worked a ton more recetly on drafting my story (or stories) and it seems that I am getting terribly bored now with it. Hopefully this terrible malady of BWS (Bored Writer's Syndrome) is not affecting you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Isi! Can't wait to see your questions!

      I haven't worked on drafting this story - or anything else, really - since finishing the first draft; BUT I am working through it and editing it a little. Why I'm editing things like overuse of the word "was," don't ask me - there are so many plot problems and unoriginal scenes and flat characters that I should be working on those things first.

      Oh dear! I do hope you get over that BWS soon! We can't do without your stories. ;)

      Delete
    2. What a terribly dear thing to say! I wish that I could just magically finish them so no one would be disappointed about how long it's taking to make decisions. :) Well, I partially got over BWS by writing in something else that wasn't boring, a futuristic story.

      Delete