Character Interview - Able

Time for Able's interview! I didn't get it up as soon as I wanted to, but oh well.

Me:
Hey, Able! Ready to be interviewed?

Able:
*smiling* I suppose so.

Me:
Alright, then, I'll plunge right in. These questions are from Rosie and Andrea. Now, besides riding the griffin, what are some things you like to do with your sister?

Able:
Oh, Ellen and I do lots of things together. One of my favorites is to sit with her in the evenings and read with her. I taught her to read, you know. She loves to look at the illuminated manuscripts from the library. And then, we love to go outside and spend time with the grass and the trees and the sky.

Me:
Do you have a best friend besides your sister?

Able:
There's a boy who works in the fields with me, named Gregory. We've known each other ever since I can remember. His family treats me like a son of their own.

Me:
When do you wake up in the morning, and is it hard or easy for you to get up?

Able:
I always get up at the crack of dawn, sometimes earlier. We have to get an early start on the work in the fields. *grins* There are days I'd like to sleep 'til noon, but usually it's pretty easy to get up. Force of habit, you know.

Me:
Since you ride a griffin, Rosie guesses you're not afraid of heights. What are you afraid of?

Able:
*laughs* Oh, no, I'm not afraid of heights. Hmm, what am I afraid of. What am I afraid of? Well, I'm not too fond of snakes. Sometimes there are really thick, ugly ones in the fields - and you can hardly see them when the wheat is thick and tall. That's why we wear tall leather boots.

Me:
What's the last thing you do before you go to bed?

Able:
Read. I'm allowed to borrow books from the library. If I don't get time to read something for pleasure during the day, I can always read a little before I fall asleep at night.

Me:
Why do you have to work in the fields if you're a nobleman?

Able:
*grins* I usually ask myself, "Why do I get to be a nobleman if I was born a serf?" By rights I should be out in the fields all the time, and I shouldn't know how to read, and I shouldn't be wearing this nice fur-lined jacket. My parents were just poor workers under Stonedon, and I'll never understand why he took Ellen and I in when we were orphaned. We should probably be living with Gregory's family - orphaned serfs are usually adopted by other serfs. But for some reason Stonedon adopted us. Well - "adopted" is the wrong word. He makes it very clear that even though we're getting an education and living under his roof and eating at his table, we're not really nobles. Working in the fields is the price I pay for this half-sonship he's given me. Ellen pulls her weight with chores in the castle, especially needlework.

Me:
Do you remember your parents?

Me:
*smiles sadly* No. Sometimes I want to say I do. I have this vague image in my mind of what Father and Mother were like. *bursts out laughing* But it's a ridiculous image! A few years ago I could've sworn I remember Father holding a sword. Of course a serf has no reason to own a sword. I don't know where that memory came from. I guess I'm just imagining things. I was only - what? two or three when they died. I probably don't remember them at all.

Me:
How did you learn to ride a griffin?

Able:
Oh, everyone learns. I mean, it's practically like riding a horse. One of Stonedon's knights taught me, when I was about ten years old. Ever since then Pierce has been my chosen mount. She technically belongs to Stonedon, but it's understood that she's mine.

Me:
Well, thanks for letting me interview you, Able! That was lots of fun.

And, more importantly, thanks to the wonderful readers who provided the questions! They were splendid topics of inquiry, as always. :) If you have any more questions for Able, feel free to ask in the comments!

The candidates for the next interview are:

Princess Rosalie
Prince Tristan





Comments

  1. Oh! I loved this! I definitely see how he isn't as suspicious as his sister. Aw, he taught her to read? That's sweet :) And realistic! Great job!

    Are we supposed to pick which interview we want next? Because if so, then I'd choose Princess Rosalie. Girl-boy-girl sort of thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm glad you liked it, Rosie! :)

      Girl-boy-girl is a great way to vote. :) And I very much like Rosalie, so.... :)

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I would like to see Tristan.... PLEASE??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll do Tristan after Rosalie. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Heroes

Daily Sacrifices

October's Fiction