Infinity Dreams Award

My dear friend Andrea Adams, at her beautiful and fantabulous blog Andrea's Scribbles, has been so kind as to nominate me for the Infinity Dreams award. Thanks, Andrea! Dear readers, do go check out her blog, it's stupendous.

So, this little tag has the following rules:

1. Thank and follow the blog that nominated you.
2. Tell us eleven facts about yourself.
3. Answer the questions that were set for you to answer.
4. Nominate 11 bloggers and set questions for them.

 
 Eleven Facts:
 
1. I've never stepped foot inside a school bus.
 
2. Stars and constellations fascinate me.
 
3. When I lived in South Carolina with my family as a very little girl, I started to pick up a southern drawl, but I lost it when we moved back north.
 
4. I'm not a picky eater by any means, but please don't ask me to eat Brussels sprouts.
 
5. Poetry memorization is a hobby of mine; my greatest achievement so far is Horatius at the Bridge.
 
6. My pen name, Lucy Agnes, is taken from the names of two of my favorite martyrs.
 
7. Lake-water runs in my veins - I come from a family of fishermen on my dad's side of the family. (Fishing as a hobby, not as a means of livelihood.)
 
8. I'm more interested in politics than in sports.
 
9. I have a tendency to refuse to watch or read whatever my friends tell me I should watch or read...and then, when I do watch or read it, to fangirl over it more faithfully than any of them.
 
10. I held a grudge against Sir Lancelot du Lac for almost exactly one year before finally forgiving him and accepting him as a tragic character.
 
11. Algebra is the bane of my life.
 

Eleven Questions from Andrea:
 
1. What's the saddest death you've ever read about/watched?
 
WARNING: This answer will be rife with spoilers.
 
After considering Arthur Dimmesdale's glorious end and Beth March's oh-so-heartbreaking-and-bittersweet demise, I've come to the conclusion that Prince Rhun's death, in The Chronicles of Prydain, is the saddest death in the history of bookdom. BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KILL OFF A CHARACTER LIKE RHUN, LLOYD ALEXANDER. IT SIMPLY ISN'T DONE. I so desperately wanted that dear boy to live! He was made for life, okay? He was not a tormented sinner like Dimmesdale! He was not a mortal angel like Beth! He was not a tragic hero like Hector! He was a sweet, simple, curious, bumbling, lovable bundle of big smiles and wide eyes! And if you ARE going to kill him, you do NOT kill him off so early in the book! You wait!! for the climax!!!
 
2. What's your favorite TV show?
 
Hogan's Heroes! Currently, that is. I actually don't think it's the best TV show I've ever watched - Andy Griffith has to be the best, right? - but my siblings and I are on a Hogan's Heroes kick right now. Now, that's not to say I approve of every episode, but the good ones are hilarious. Or exciting, as the case may be.
 
And Colonel Klink is practically a villainous version of Barney Fife. That should explain everything.
 
hogan 3x05 hogans heroes from the war klink
 
3. Do you play an instrument?
 
Clarinet. I haven't practiced in awhile, though, and I never really mastered the upper register....(that is what the higher notes are called, right? Or maybe I just mean I need to get the really high/low notes down pat? You see how pathetic I am when it comes to music?)
 
4. What's a popular book that you don't like?
 
Haha! My dear Andrea, I am a rebel when it comes to popular books. Or I try to be, at least. I am going to lead the revolt against Harry Potter, Divergent, The Hunger Games, and, most especially loathed of all, Twilight.
 
Not that I've read any of those.
 
(And Twilight's not really popular any more, is it?)
 
5. Favorite author?
 
Too many for just one answer.
 
G.K. Chesterton - not so much for his books as for his awesome quotes and philosophy in general; J.R.R. Tolkien - because The Lord of the Rings is epically awesome; C.S. Lewis - because Narnia, first and foremost, and also because The Screwtape Letters; Fr. Francis J. Finn - because his style is so refined-ly hilarious and his stories are so beautiful and his characters are so lovable; Louisa May Alcott - because I love her style and Little Women and Charlie Campbell (wait, that's a reason not to like L.M. Alcott...); ......okay I'll stop there.
 
Eee! An edition of Little Women illustrated by the real-life Amy?? I want it!!
 
 
6. When did you start writing?
 
Um. That's a very good question. When was I not writing? Well, I've got a poem composed by me but written in my mother's hand from when I was six years old. It went something like this:
 
There are trees in the world,
And there are flowers in the world,
And water and the wind, too.
And don't forget about the sky,
For it is very blue.
 
So I guess I've been writing since before I could actually write..?
 
I think I wrote my first novel (well, it was probably a novella, actually), about a boy named Danny and his horse named Velvet, when I was eight. (At least, I think I was eight, because I'm pretty sure Danny himself is eight. I might have been nine.)
 
It was pathetically plagiarized.
 
7. Scariest thing you've ever done?
 
I didn't do it on purpose. That was what made it so scary. We were on vacation in the Outer Banks, and I went out to the marshy area in the backyard to take a picture of the house. I didn't know it was a marshy area, just that it led down to a river. One step the ground was a wee bit mushy - the next, I was up to my knee in a black, sticky, horribly stinky quagmire. And there were mosquitoes everywhere. I was afraid to move lest I sink deeper into the mud - I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes - my brother turned tail and fled - and I was left sitting there in the marsh, screaming my head off for someone to save me. It seemed an eternity before Dad (my hero!!!) finally came and swooped me up out of that purgatory. Oh, it was awful. I lost my shoe, and I was covered in mosquito bites, and, and, and - I don't see why Dante didn't think of putting a marsh like that somewhere in the Inferno!
 
I had a pathological fear of mosquitoes for some time after that.
 
Eep! This poor, poor frog.... I feel for you, dear little toady.
 
 
8. Tell us about your favorite character that you've written.
 
Andrea. DID YOU JUST ASK ME TO CHOOSE A FAVORITE CHARACTER THAT I'VE WRITTEN??? Oh, you're cruel!
 
Hmmmhhmmmmmhmmmmmeeaaihhmmmmmh. Mm. I guess I'll have to talk about Dar. Cuz Dar is so much fun to write about. That's not to say he's my absolute favorite, but he's up there.
 
Well, Dar is a very skilled and very famous thief, known all over the universe as "the Space Fox." Despite his criminal ways, he likes to think of himself as a gentleman (I'm stealing that from somewhere, I just know I am), and his charming smile and daring escapades have won him a devoted following of fangirls (whom he loves to ignore). But beneath his sparkling surface and nonchalant manner is a deeply troubled young man questioning the very meaning of life. After all, if all there is to it is money and pleasure and achievements....why isn't he the happiest man in the universe?
 
9. Favorite book/movie character?
 
Oh gosh, that's as hard as the last one. I'm just gonna list of a string of my bookland friends.... Anne Shirley, Jo March, Roland, Hector, Reepicheep, Sam Gamgee - SAM GAMGEE! - Faramir, Gurgi, Flewddur Flam, Taran, Eilonwy, (I know, that's like all of Prydain) Sir Percy Blakeney, Sydney Carton, Charlie Campbell....
Movie-wise, I really like Maria in The Sound of Music and Wilberforce in Amazing Grace.
 
And because I just watched Newsies - can I put that in caps? - because I just watched NEWSIES!, let me just add Jack Kelley. And David. And.....yeeah. All of 'em.
 
10. What kind of music do you like to listen to when you write? 
 
Um. Do I listen to music when I write? Yes, sometimes I do. But I don't know that it helps me, 'specially if it's something as awesome as Les Miserables which makes me want to stop everything I'm doing and just listen to it. I guess classical music of some kind is the best when I'm actually writing, as opposed to just typing up (in which case I like musical numbers - yes, Newsies). Also things like Ashokan Farewell and Gregorian chant. And ooh! I thought of one. There's this neat category of band music on Youtube - band, like, clarinets and trumpets and flutes and stuff. Those are really nice for story-writing since there's all different kinds of feelings to them, and they don't have distracting words like "The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of France!"
 
11. What book are you currently reading?
 
Two possible answers to this question:
1) I'm not giving my full attention to any book right now.
2) Make that "books." I'm currently working through
 Percy Wynn, by Fr. Finn (read-aloud to younger siblings)
Rainbow Valley, by Lucy Maude Montgomery (an Anne book, heartbreakingly beautiful)
Eye of the Oracle, by Bryan Davis (yes, from a year ago)
David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens (I've practically given up, but not really)
Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens (I really have to get back to that...it's been, like, months)
Mercy In the City, by Kerry Weber (nonfiction)
And probably a few others I've forgotten at the moment...



 Eleven Questions for Nominated Bloggers:

I am going to cheat here. I don't really know any other bloggers. So. I tag you, my dear reader, whether or no you have a blog. (If you don't have a blog, feel free to answer some or all of the questions in the comments!)

And the eleven questions from me....hmm.

1. What's a favorite hobby of yours?
2. Dream vacation?
3. If you could travel back to any era in history, what would it be?
4. Who are some of your favorite characters?
5. Would you rather be able to fly or breathe underwater?
6. Are you a dog person, a cat person, or a don't-put-an-animal-anywhere-near-me person?
7. Tea person, coffee person, or no-thanks-I-don't-drink person?
8. If you could meet any one person from anywhere and any time, who would you pick?
9. You have the power to jump into any fictional world. What's your first stop?
10. I'm very sorry to tell you this, but I actually have magical powers and have decided to transform you into an animal. Any preference, before I flick my wand?
11. As a major anticlimax - what's your favorite color?
 

Comments

  1. Ohhhh, what fun! Questions to answer!

    Here we go:
    1. Writing stories. That's a hobby, isn't it? Because it's one of my favorite things to do.
    2. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think . . . I would go to England and see ALL THE FAMOUS PLACES, and then I would go to Europe and see MORE FAMOUS PLACES . . . and I would be sure to stop off and visit my friend Naomi who lives in Belgium. I would take about a month to do it all, because you don't want to be rushed on a trip like that. I would definitely take my sister--and if I could, I would also take my whole family and my best friend. There. Now THAT sounds like a dream vacation, no? ;-)
    4. Hum. I think . . . I would travel back to the Middle Ages/Dark Ages and hang out for a while, Observing Things. I really want to meet some of my favorite historical characters of that era, like St. Thomas Aquinas and Julian of Norwich and St. Clotilde and St. Dominic and what's-his-name, the guy who defeated the Albigensians . . . and SO MANY OTHERS. Plus, I would bring a smartphone and record ALL the conversations and take pictures, and then I could prove to everyone back home that the Middle Ages folks actually were REAL PEOPLE. Because not everybody seems to realize that.
    4. "Some of . . ." (haha) Well, Father Brown, of course; Lucy Pevensie; Fanny Price; Colonel Brandon; Mr. Darcy; Cecile and Jacques from "Shadows on the Rock"; R2-D2, Rey, Finn, Yoda, and Obi-Wan; Beth March; Jessica Prescott from "A Distant Trumpet"; Laura and Mary Ingalls; Bertie Wooster and Jeeves . . . okay, I think I'll stop there :-)
    5. Fly. I'm scared of the water.
    6. I like cats. Although dogs can be quite nice too.
    7. No-thanks-I-don't-drink person ;-)
    8. Oh, BOY. Ummmmmmmm . . . how about G.K. Chesterton or C.S. Lewis? I want to ask them a million questions about their stories :-) I also really want to meet Laura Ingalls Wilder (when she was a kid, preferably) . . . and Red Hugh O'Donnell . . . and Don Juan of Austria . . . I can't choose. Sorry. ;-)
    9. NARNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10. A koala bear, please. They're my favorite.
    11. Blue!

    Thanks, Lucy Agnes--that was so much fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, what great answers! Writing stories - definitely a hobby, and a very nice one, too. ;) A dream vacation indeed! I'd love to go to Europe someday. THE MIDDLE AGES!!! Yes yes yes! I love the Middle Ages soo much! And DON JUAN OF AUSTRIA! Yes! He happens to be a major hero of mine. :) Narnia - naturally! And blue is my favorite color, too. :)
      Thanks so much for participating, Jessica! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah! I loved this :) My pen name, Rosie McCann, is taken from a character this song, The Star Of The County Down. Do you like Irish music? Here's the link. Just in case :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jae_vPZAjI

    Oh that was a scary story!! I'm deathly afraid of waterbeetles, myself. I am actually not fond of any bug two inches long, but since waterbeetles also have horrible long WHISKERS, I hate them the most :P

    I'm going to answer the eleven questions!! I love doing that :)

    1. What's a favorite hobby of yours? - Writing and drawing. Most definitely. I want to be an artist. Did I tell you that?
    2. Dream vacation? - I would just LOVE to go to Ireland. That would be SO AWESOME. And of course I would take my sister Jessica Prescott . . .
    3. If you could travel back to any era in history, what would it be? - Probably medieval England.
    4. Who are some of your favorite characters? - I'm assuming we mean fictional characters here. Well, I like: Polly Ann and Tom Dolan from Bert Breen's Barn; Annie and Charley from Mustang, Wild Spirit of The West; Father Brown and Flambeau from Chesterton's Father Brown stories; Bertie Wooster and Jeeves; and Elinor, Edward, and Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility.
    5. Would you rather be able to fly or breathe underwater? - Ha, well this kind of has something to do with the "scariest thing you've ever done." See, I can't swim. And once I sort-kinda-almost drowned. So, as much fun as flying would be, I'd have to choose being able to breathe underwater.
    6. Are you a dog person, a cat person, or a don't-put-an-animal-anywhere-near-me person? - I like cats a lot, and dogs if they're the calm peaceful kind. I don't like the little ones that race around your ankles screaming. :P
    7. Tea person, coffee person, or no-thanks-I-don't-drink person? - I don't like tea, and I've never tried coffee. I do like hot chocolate, but get it only rarely. So basically the only thing I drink is lemonade and water.
    8. If you could meet any one person from anywhere and any time, who would you pick? - Goodness! What a question. How about Jesus? Or Mary? Or Joseph? :)
    9. You have the power to jump into any fictional world. What's your first stop? NARNIA. Totally :D
    10. I'm very sorry to tell you this, but I actually have magical powers and have decided to transform you into an animal. Any preference, before I flick my wand? - That made me laugh so much. Okay, I'll choose a cat please . . . preferably black.
    11. As a major anticlimax - what's your favorite color? - Oh. Very major indeed :P I love blue! And brown and grey and red.

    Thanks!! That was sooooooo FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Irish music! Yes, I do like it, although I hardly ever listen to it. :)
      Oh yes, you did tell me you want to be an artist! That's really cool. I loved reading all your answers! Ireland and medieval England are cool. I've never read Sense and Sensibility, but I should. Oh my gosh, almost drowning sounds so scary! I started to go down in a pool once. Maybe that's actually the scariest thing I've ever done.:)Haha, I'm glad number 10 made you laugh - and I'll enjoy having a black cat around as a pet. ;)
      Thanks so much for answering these, Rosie! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you liked my answers!! Oh yes, it was VERY SCARY. Thankfully, my Mom pulled me out :) Oh! and we DO have a black cat as a pet - a girl cat named Plum. That's what made me pick that!

      Yes, you should read Sense and Sensibility :D

      Delete
    3. Moms are convenient people to have around in situations like that, aren't they? ;)
      Oh, Plum! What a lovely name! We have one named Inky - but he's half-wild and I really, really don't care much for him. :)
      I really should!

      Delete
  3. Ooh! You did it! Yay!!!!! I love all your answers, Lucy. Haha, I should've known better than to ask that question about popular books. :) Hmm, I honestly don't really remember that character from the Prydain books. But it's been years since I read that series. For me the saddest death I've read is *Spoiler? Possibly?* probably Beth from Little Women. It was very realistic and depressing.
    Okay, I'm going to answer a few of the questions for fun. :)
    1. My favorite hobby? Writing, of course. :D
    5. FLY! I'd love to fly. It'd be quite amazing and fun and exciting and...yup. :) I'd want to fly.

    http://andreasscribbles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! This was a really fun tag. :) Haha....yeeah, those popular books. Of course, I don't have anything against people who read the books I don't like. (Well. I don't have anything against people who read Divergent or Harry Potter or The Hunger Games.)
      You don't remember Rhun? *faints* You must go read that instead of whatever popular book you're reading, Andrea! (Just kidding.)Oh, Beth's death was sooooo sad! Once when I was reading Little Women I teared up just about every time her name was mentioned afterward...
      Great answers! I have to say I'd rather fly, too. It'd give some nice experience for writing about griffins and fliers and flying unicorns, as well as being fun....:)

      Delete
    2. :) Actually, I'm reading a Time to Die right now. It's a Christian Dystopian.

      Delete
  4. Ooh! I love answering such questions! I know I am terribly late to answer this and be noticed at all, but I'll answer anyways.. just for fun!
    1. Well, let's see... Reading, singing, skating (haven't done that in forever, though), and drawing. I guess as a particular I'll put singing, because reading just has to be a genre all it's own, am I right?
    2. Dream vacation? Rome, Italy !!!!!
    3. Perhaps the 1940's? I love movies, music, stories, and actors from that time, so why not?
    4. Characters?! You just said the magic word!!!! Well, I won't count movie or unpublished book, because those are TOO MANY!!!! How's about Geric from 'The Goose Girl' by Shannon Hale, Laurie from 'Little Women', and Faramir from LOTR for a few (though I could probably list quite a bit more!).
    5. Fly, definitely. I have always liked the idea of flying ever since I was little and watched this adorable show called 'Babar, King Of The Elephants', in which Babar's adventurous brother-in-law, Arthur, went flying on a plane and had many great adventures.
    6. CAT PERSON!!!!!!!!! I like to look at dogs, I don't really care much for them otherwise (unless they are extraordinarily well-behaved).
    7. Well, I didn't used to like either, but now I can whole-heartedly say I am a coffee-supporter.
    8. Um, I would love to meet Fred Astaire probably of anyone in the entire universe's time. He seemed so friendly, and kind, even not as his dance, song, and movie-persona.
    9. How about, Celesteville in Babar? I love Middle Earth and Narnia, but they are always in jeopardy and too much trouble, while Celesteville is so peaceful. I think it's just thinking about Babar that made me say that, and I would usually say something else, but I would love to see Celesteville.
    10. How about, a cat? I like them, and they're the cleanest and most intelligent animals I know in daily life, so yes, a cat.
    11. Haha! Great question! It is blush-rose pink, like the color of an early-bloomed hyacinth bud, or a sunrise's far edge.
    Thanks, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, I never responded to this comment! How unbearably rude of me. I'm pathetic. Well, although it might not seem like it based on my behavior until this point, but I'm ever so glad you answered these questions, Isi!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Heroes

Daily Sacrifices

October's Fiction