Friday, March 11, 2016

Ellen Interview

Time for Ellen's interview! Thanks to everyone who provided these wonderful questions!

10+ Places In Ireland That Will Gonna Blow Your Mind | Pinspopulars:
Pinterest again.
Why won't my computer let me upload the pictures I drew? *sigh*
Me:
Hullo, Ellen! Thanks for letting me interview you.
 
Ellen:
Oh, it's nothing.
 
Me:
Alright, let's get started. The first few questions are from Rosie.  She asks, "Do you have a tutor or anything of that nature? If so, is he pleasant or unbearable? What sort of 'accomplishments' do you have?"
 
Ellen:
A tutor. Hmm. Well, I don't really have a tutor, exactly. Able gets formal lessons, and he teaches me some of what he learns - that's why I can read a little. My education is mostly in the hands of an old serving woman named Martha. She's been my nurse ever since Stonedon adopted me, and I love her dearly. She teaches me womanly arts, like embroidery. *laughs a little* I suppose fine needlework is the only accomplishment I really have.
 
Me:
Please describe your favorite gown/article of clothing.
 
Ellen:
It's a really simple brown dress, with a skirt down to my feet and long sleeves. It's getting a little thin from so many years of use, but it's grown so soft and comfortable I'd hate to part with it. *grins* Besides, since it's so old I don't have to worry about tearing it.
 
Me:
What color are your eyes?
 
Ellen:
They're a gray, blue-green color.
 
Me:
*giggles* Gray blue-green?
 
Ellen:
*smiles* Able just says they're the color of the sea.
 
Me:
Where do you go to be alone and what do you do there?
 
Ellen:
Anywhere I can. Usually the castle's too full of prying eyes, even my own room since Martha's always around, so I slip out and go for a long walk through the surrounding fields. I just walk and think and let the beautiful wild world blow all my grumpiness and gloominess away. There's an especially special little place that me and Able always went to play when we were little - this rocky ledge that looks over a low dip in the ground, a sort of shallow valley with brush and trees around it. That's my favorite place to just sit and think.
 
Small footbridge that leads into The Poisoned Glen near Dunlewy in Co Donegal, Ireland • photo: Gary McParland on 500px (mountains of Torres del Paine, Chile photoshopped in by unknown artist):
Not Ellen's favorite place -
but it gives an idea of the landscape around the castle.
 
Me:
Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
 
Ellen:
I think I'm optimistic - but not in a naïve, happy-go-lucky way. I've seen too much vice and sorrow in the world to think everything's going to turn out right no matter what happens. I do think everything can turn out right, but not unless we do something about it. Which is why I get so frustrated at Able when he says we have a duty to Stonedon and have to stay in the castle and be grateful.
 
Me:
Do you have any close friends besides your brother?
 
Ellen:
Thane. And Pierce. Besides that... *frowns* I suppose Martha's a friend. I do love her. It's just - sometimes I get the feeling she's hiding something. She always treats me like a little girl, and sometimes this look flits across her face... Anyway, she's not a close friend.
Then sometimes I talk to the serving-girls, or the serfs, or the guards. But they're all so busy I can't really get close to any of them. So it's just me and Able.
 
Me:
Three words to describe your personality.

Ellen:
*cocks head* Hmm. Well....I'm serious...and cynical...and - *hesitates* - tender. I mean, I care deeply about some things.

Me:
Like Able and Thane. *smiles* Alright, the rest of the questions are from Andrea. How is Thane tame?

Ellen:
*a brilliant smile* I raised him from a puppy. Able found him one day, in that shallow rocky dip in the ground I mentioned. The poor little thing, how he got there is anyone's guess - there are never wolves near the castle. And he was so small he couldn't possibly take care of himself. Able took him and snuggled him into his tunic and brought him to me.

Thane:

Me:
Why do you think Stonedon wants your brother to die?

Ellen:
*smile drops into a sullen and very serious frown* I don't think, I know. I heard him say so to the scout who came to give a report about the war, just after Able left. I wasn't supposed to be listening, but I crept up to the room and put my ear to the door, and I heard them. The scout said our army was bound to be crushed by the enemy troops gathering just beyond the border, and Stonedon said, "It seems I sent that boy off just in time." He's a murderer, and he's a traitor, and I'd like to tell him what I really think of him.

Me:
Why do you question Stonedon's intentions if Able doesn't?

Ellen:
Well after overhearing that -

Me:
Before that.

Ellen:
*shrugs* Even before that Stonedon was no good. I don't know why Able can't see that. We've always had really different ways of looking at things, Able and me. I guess part of it's just our upbringing. Able was always surrounded by people who are content to be under Stonedon's rule, and he has all these ideas of fealty and honor and duty. Sometimes I think he's so full of unrealistic visions he can't see what Stonedon's really like. I can, though. I've always been kept right under Stonedon's nose, and I've watched his greedy, selfish, uncaring ways ever since I can remember. I just can't imagine him doing anything out of the goodness of his heart; there's always an angle to everything.

Me:
Sounds quite a bit like Eowyn and Eomer in The Lord of the Rings.

Ellen:
Huh?

Me:
A book I'm extremely fond of.

Ellen:
Oh. I've never read it. My favorite book is the volume of fairy tales Able brought me when I was little.

Me:
Well, thanks so much for answering these questions, Ellen. That'll be all.

I hope you've enjoyed meeting Ellen! Now that her interview's finished, it's time to vote for a new character. You can choose from one of the following two and let me know which you prefer in the comments. :)

Candidate 1: Able

Candidate 2: Princess Rosalie
 

9 comments:

  1. Oh, this was so much fun to read!! Ellen sounds like a really sweet girl - I would love to have her for a friend :) It's so cool that she is able to see how Stonedon is bad even if her brother can't. I like characters with good judgement!

    Her eyes sound beautiful. I like how you said her only real accomplishment is needlework - that is very authentic. That story of how Thane got tame is so lovely! And I love the sound of her dress :)

    Aaaaaaaaahhhh! I have to choose between Able and Princess Rosalie?! Well - I guess Able. Yes, I would love to hear about Able :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! It was fun to write, especially since the questions asked were really good ones. :) I'm glad you liked it!

      Haha - I want a dress like that. :)

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting! Able's a good choice - I like him. :)Of course - is it possible for the writer to not like the character? :)

      I loved the sound of your characters on Go Teen Writers, by the way. :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome!! Oh, no, not really - unless it's a villain. But I have heard of writers liking their villains too, so go figure :P

      Oh wow! I didn't know you read Go Teen Writers! That is so cool. I'm really glad you like them! Thanks :)

      Delete
    3. Haha, I've had a villain or two I like in spite of myself. But maybe that's because I have plans to convert some of them. :)

      They were very interesting! :) I do read Go Teen Writers, but I kinda have a habit of reading blogs and hardly ever commenting...:)

      Delete
    4. Conversion is always good!

      Oh, I do that sometimes too . . . :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I love it! Ellen sounds like a wonderful person. And by the way, I think Thane is awesome.

    Hmm...I think Able. I want to learn more about him. :)

    http://andreasscribbles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I'm glad you liked it!

      I want to learn more about him, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely interview! You know, I have to say Ellen reminds me of myself :-) Like her, I get annoyed with people who (from my point of view) don't really appear to be "seeing" what is REALLY going on. It irks me. I want to be able to say, "yeah, actually, everything is NOT really so wonderful, and here's what we should do about it." And if people don't want to listen . . . grrrrrrrrrrr. I call it my "Cassandra complex"--you know, from the Greek myth? *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! :)
      Hahaha! Cassandra complex! Oh, oh, oh, that's great. :) Poor Cassandra. Such a tragic pathetic figure. :( I love that myth, though!

      Delete