Beautiful People - March


Time for Beautiful People again! This lovely linkup is hosted by Cait and Sky, and 'tis positively oodles of fun.

PAPERFURY

This month I'm going to answer the questions for my character Timandra, from my space opera The Prince's Pendant.

Timandra

What first inspired this character? Is there a person/actor you based her off?

She just sorta came to me. I needed someone to be a best friend to my timid main character, someone with lots of spunk and courage and high-spiritedness. The first scene I ever wrote in her story was one where Timandra and her best friend Ada were locked in a closet. (Her name wasn't originally Timandra; it started out as Rosalie or something and changed on a page-ly basis until I found the right name.)

Timandra is basically a very vivacious version of myself. I also had about three friends in mind when I designed her.  

Describe her daily routine.

During the school year (she attends a boarding school, Star of Heaven), she wakes up at about 7:30 and usually (since it's a Catholic boarding school) attends Mass at 8:00. Classes start at 9:00 and end at 3:00, with a lunch break, of course. The rest of the day she spends reading or singing or taking long walks or reciting Shakespeare or simply hanging out with her friends - usually her brother Eldon and her friend Ada.

During the summer, there's no routine at all, and between chores and pastimes she spends the day very pleasantly.

If she joined your local high school, what clique would she fit into?

The one full of good girls who talk about nothing but literature 24/7.

Write a list of things she merely tolerates. Ex: certain people, foods, circumstances in her life…

Timandra hates that little word, "tolerate." She agrees with G. K. Chesterton that "tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." And Timandra has a lot of convictions. She doesn't tolerate: she loves things with a burning passion and openly scorns anything which rubs her the wrong way.

Still, there are certain things she finds more frustrating than others - such as her older brother Jude's occasional bouts of grumpiness and continual lack of interest in really interesting things.

How does she react in awkward silences?

Almost always by saying something completely random in a very vivacious way. Usually by bursting into a poetry recitation. Quite often a dissertation on Shakespeare.

Can she swim? If so, how did she learn?

Oh yes, she can swim. She grew up in a wonderful wild woodsy place with a river running through it, and went swimming with her siblings all the time.

What is one major event that helped shape who she is?

Attending Star of Heaven has really made a big impact on the way Timandra looks at the world, so her enrollment there was a pretty major event. Also, the events which take place in The Prince's Pendant have made a lasting impression on her.

What things does she value most in life?

Her faith - though that doesn't come out in an overt way, it affects every aspect of her life.
Her family and friends - she'd do anything for them.
Shakespeare. And poetry/literature/etc. in general. Her life is peppered with it.

Does she believe in giving other people second chances? Does she have any trust issues?

She believes deeply in second chances, especially since her beloved brother Jude would probably be spending life in prison if it weren't for forgiveness.

Trust issues? Timandra? Nope. She understands you can't trust everybody, but if she thinks someone is trustworthy she doesn't think twice about it.

Your character is having a rough day…what things does she do to make her happy again? Is there anyone she talks/interacts with to get in a better mood?

She'll definitely recite Shakespeare. Turning her mind to Juliet's problems usually snaps her out of her own. And nothing makes her happier than dramatically falling on an imaginary sword. :)


People-wise, she tends to go to her brother Eldon for support if she's feeling down in the dumps or worried about something. Her best friend Ada is also a very comforting person to have around, as long as she's not worried sick herself. And if she's at home, Timandra's likely to confide in her mom or in one of her sisters.
Ada




I hope you've enjoyed meeting Timandra! Do you have any interest in Shakespeare? Are you doing Beautiful People this month?

Comments

  1. Ooooh, Timandra is such a neat character!! I love how spunky she is :) Her life sounds awesome too! I did Beautiful People for March . . . if you go here:
    [http://paperfury.com/beautiful-people-16-march/]
    My link is the fifteenth :) In case you want to read it.

    Shakespeare? YES INDEED. I love his plays - though I can't recite huge hunks of it. Sorry. I've gone to see several of his plays and LOVED it. Also, this is kind of coincidental, but I actually have to write a couple papers on his plays right around now! He really was brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Rosie! I'm rather fond of Timandra myself. :) Ohh, yes, I saw your Beautiful People post on the linkup thingy-ma-jig! It was delightful! I'll have to go back and read it again, though, 'cuz my memory's hazy...:)

      Oh, gosh, Shakespeare's so awesome, ain't he? :) I can't recite as much of his stuff as I'd like to, just some from Julius Caesar. Timandra would put me to shame. ;) Ohh, what's your favorite play of his? I've only seen A Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo and Juliet - and Henry V and Julius Caesar, if you count movies. :) Although I've read a pretty good number. Why don't they write plays like that anymore? Actually...haha. Might be kinda hard to understand. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, glad you like it!!

      Shakespeare IS awesome. I guess my favorite might be Midsummer Night's Dream . . . I'm not really sure. They're all just soooo good! It would be great if people wrote like that nowadays, though they're probably not going to :P

      Delete
    3. Ooh, A Midsummer Night's Dream is really good! I haven't read that one yet, but I should. :)

      Delete
    4. Definitely you should :) It's very beautiful, and fun at the same time.

      Delete
    5. I'll have to add it to my reading list! :)

      Delete
  2. Timandra!!!!! Yay!!!! I love her! She's so wonderful! I didn't know Timandra had sisters. Do they go to the boarding school too?

    andreasscribbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timandra thinks you're wonderful, too. ;) No, her sisters don't go to boarding school. They're a good deal younger than she and don't like the idea of being away from their mother for an entire school year. But Tim's more adventurous and independent.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading this, Timandra sounds wonderful! Definitely the kind of person I'd like to be friends with (though I prefer modern literature to Shakespeare) and someone I look forward to hearing more about :) happy writing!
    My Beautiful People Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Anna! :) Timandra's lots of fun to write. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Heroes

Daily Sacrifices

October's Fiction